This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Direct Injection for Future SI-Engines - Stand Alone Combustion Layout or Integrated Part of Multi-Function Fuel/Air Management Approach?
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the future generation of low consumption SI-engine layouts, it has become necessary to reduce costs as well as the complexity level and, increase the system reliability by the latter. To avoid driving the GDI-system in the critical, very lean stratified operation mode without losing the fuel consumption benefit, a solution is suggested, which combines a fully variable valve control system with a low level, robust GDI combustion layout.
The first part of the present paper presents the latest development in the field of high precision multi-hole GDI injector spray nozzles. The basic aspects of mixture preparation with multi-hole gasoline atomizers are highlighted and their spray behavior compared to that of the current swirl atomizer nozzle.
The second part of the paper presents primary optimization of a largely homogeneous GDI combustion layout combined with a fully variable valve timing control system including complete cylinder de-activation. Particular attention is paid to the new enhancement offered by the GDI mixture preparation in the field of flexibility of transient control of rotating cylinder de/re-activation. Experimental results are obtained on a single cylinder test engine.
CitationPontoppidan, M., Gaviani, G., Bella, G., and De Maio, A., "Direct Injection for Future SI-Engines - Stand Alone Combustion Layout or Integrated Part of Multi-Function Fuel/Air Management Approach?," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0540, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0540.
- Amsden A. O'Rourke P. “A Spray/Wall Interaction Submodel for the KIVA-3 Wall Film Model.” Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Ando H. “Mitsubishi GDI Engine - Strategies to meet the European Requirement.” Proceedings from Engine and Environment Graz September 1997
- Bai C. Gosman A. D. “Mathematical Modeling of Wall Film formed by Impinging Sprays.” SAE paper 960626
- Bella G. Rotondi R. Grimaldi C. Postrioti L. “Atomization of High-Pressure Diesel Spray: Experimental Validation of New Breakup Model.” SAE Paper 2001-01-1070
- Bernardi L. Ferrari A. Vafidis C. Vattaneo F. “Developments in Fiat's Electro-Hydraulic Variable Valve Actuation System.” Proceedings from Variable Ventilsteuerung, Haus der Technik Essen March 2000
- De Maio A. Andreassi L. Bella G. Bernaschi M. “Internal Combustion Engines Computational Tools: Use and Development.” ICE 99 219 227 Capri 1999
- Fraidl K. Walter F. Piock F. Wirth M. “Die Direkteinspritzung als Basis zukünftiger Ottomotorkonzepte.” 19 Wiener Motorensymposium 156 174 1998
- Klüting M. Flierl R. “Die 3. Generation von Ventiltrieben - neue vollvariable Ventiltriebe zur drosselfreien Laststeuerung.” Proceedings from Variable Ventilsteuerung, Haus der Technik Essen March 2000
- Krämer S. Nieter H. G. Frey J. Karl G. “Der DE-Ottomotor: Quo Vadis - wohin führt der Weg?” Internationales Wiener Motoren Symposium 1999 1
- Marquard R Köskemeier F “Motorkonstruktion für zukünftige Serienproduktionsstrategien unter Berücksichtigung von DGI- und VVT-Komponenten.” Proceedings from Variable Ventilsteuerung, Haus der Technik Essen March 2000
- Pontoppidan M. Bella G. Rocco V. “Mixture formation in SI-Engine intake Systems - A simplified theoretical Model with Experimental Verification.” ASME 1996 Spring Congress
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Direct Fuel Injection - A Study of Injector Requirements for Different Mixture Preparation Concepts” SAE Paper 970628
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Improvements of GDI-Injector Optimization Tools for Enhanced SI-Engine Combustion Chamber Layout.” SAE Paper 980494
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Experimental and Numerical Approach to Injection and Ignition Optimization of Lean GDI-Combustion Behavior.” SAE Paper 1999-01-0173
- Pontoppidan Pontoppidan M Di Maio A. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced use of 3-D CFD and Combustion Simulation to Optimize the Development of ECU-Control Algorithms for GDI Spark Ignited Engines.” ICE 99 - Proceedings
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced Mixture Preparation Approach for Lean Stratified SI-Combustion by a Combined Use of GDI and Electronically Controlled Valve-Timing.” SAE Paper 2000-01-0532
- Pontoppidan M. Marcacci M. Arnone L. Demaio A “Comparative Study of the Capability of Mixture- and Liquid Based GDI Configurations to optimize a Lean Stratified SI-Combustion in a Two-Stroke, small Displacement Engine.” Setc paper 2001-01-1783/4206
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. “Study of the Benefits and Inconveniences of a Substantial Increase of the Available Rail-Pressure in GDI-Injector Assemblies” SAE paper 2002-01-1132
- Pontoppidan M. “Combined use of 3D-CFD Simulation and direct Visualisation Techniques to decrease the Optimisation Procedure Complexity of Combustion chamber Layout and Engine Control Pre-mapping operation necessary for Online Engine Test rig Optimisation.” Internationales Symposium für Verbrennungsdiagnostik 2002 Baden-Baden 137 147
- Wenzel C. Stephan W Hannibal W “Hydraulische Komponenten für variable Ventilsteuerungen.” Proceedings from Variable Ventilsteuerung, Haus der Technik Essen March 2000