This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Further Inroads in the Shape Optimization of Radiator Tanks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Improvements in the pressure drop across and flow homogeneity in the tubes of automotive radiators are needed to reduce the power demands on the vehicle water pump and increase the lifetime of the radiator. The goal of this ongoing work is to develop a set of virtual tools coupling CFD flow simulations with numerical shape optimization methods to assist in the design and testing process of automotive heating and cooling components. In SAE paper 2002-01-0952, “Towards Shape Optimization of Radiator Cooling Tanks,” the authors developed and evaluated optimization criteria for pressure drop and mass flow rate distribution in a water-to-air automotive heat exchanger. In this follow-up paper, results based on the implementation of these optimization criteria are presented. More specifically, results concerning the placement of radiator inlets and outlets are addressed. The methodology used to automate the mesh generation, CFD simulation, and shape optimization procedures using the GAMBIT® and FLUENT® software, combined with an in-house C-language program are also discussed.
CitationGuessous, L. and Maddipatla, S., "Further Inroads in the Shape Optimization of Radiator Tanks," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0530, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0530.
- Guessous, L. Polis M.P. Tison N. Bouzida S. “Towards Shape Optimization of Radiator Cooling Tanks,” SAE Paper 2002-01-0952 2002
- Sokolowski, J. Zolesio, J.-P. “Introduction to Shape Optimization,” Springer-Verlag New York 1991
- Vanderplaats, G.N. “Numerical Optimization techniques for Engineering Design: Wit Application,” McGraw-Hill New York 1984
- Hicks, R.M. Vanderplaats, G.N. “Design of LowSpeed Airfoil By Numerical Optimization,” SAE Paper # 750524 1975
- Burgreen, G. Baysal, O. “Three-Dimensional Aerodynamic Shape Optimization Using Discrete Sensitivity Analysis,” AIAA Journal 34 9 1761 1770 1996
- Choi, J.H. Kim, K.Y. Chung, D.S. “Numerical Optimization Of An Automotive Cooling Fan,” SAE Paper # 970935 1997
- Affes, H. Trigui, N Smith, D. Griaznov, V. “Shape Optimization of IC Engine Ports and Chambers,” SAE Paper # 980127 1998
- Affes, H. Wang, Y. Liu, W. “Engine Port/Chamber Design Optimization,” 2001 Fluent Automotive User's Group Meeting Novi, MI 2001
- He, B. Ghattas O. Antaki J. Dennis T. “Shape optimization of Navier-Stokes flows with application to optimal design of artificial heart components,” AIAA Paper 94-4387 1994