This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Eye Injury and Orbital Fracture Patterns in Frontal Automobile Crashes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study was to investigate eye injuries and orbital fractures resulting from frontal automobile crashes and to determine the effects of frontal airbags. For this two part study, cases in NASS were selected from the years 1993 through 2000 that include drivers and front seat occupants only, while excluding ejected occupants and rollovers. In addition, only frontal impacts were considered, which are defined as having a primary direction of force (PDOF) of 11, 12, or 1 o'clock. Eye injuries in the NASS database were identified using the current AIS injury codes. An analysis of the cases indicates that 3.1% of occupants exposed to an airbag deployment sustained an eye injury, compared to 2.0% of those occupants not exposed to an airbag deployment. Moreover, there was a significant increase in the risk of corneal abrasion for occupants exposed to an airbag deployment (ρ = 0.03). Of all occupants who were exposed to an airbag deployment, 0.09% sustained an orbital fracture. In contrast, occupants who were not exposed to an airbag deployment were over twice as likely to sustain an orbital fracture (0.22%), but this comparison was not statistically different (ρ = 0.10). The data suggest that while airbag increase the overall risk of sustaining any type of eye injury, they decrease the risk of sustaining more serious orbital fractures.
CitationDuma, S., Jernigan, M., and Herring, I., "Eye Injury and Orbital Fracture Patterns in Frontal Automobile Crashes," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0511, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0511.
SAE 2003 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V112-6 ; Published: 2004-09-15
Number: V112-6 ; Published: 2004-09-15
- Deery HA, Morris AP, Fildes BN, Newstead SV. Airbag Technology in Australian Passenger Cars: Preliminary Results from Real World Crash Investigations. Crash Prev Inj Cont, Oct, 1999; 1(2):121-8.
- Ball DC, Bouchard CS. Ocular morbidity associated with airbag deployment: a report of seven cases and a review of the literature. Cornea, Mar, 2001; 20(2):159-63.
- Bhavsar AR, Chen TC, Goldstein DA. Corneoscleral laceration associated with passenger-side airbag inflation. Br J Ophthalmol, June, 1997; 81(6):514-5.
- Biechl-Lautenbach KS, Gloor B, Walz F. Severe perforating eye injury caused by an air bag in a traffic skid accident. Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd, Mar, 1996; 208(3):196-200.
- Braude LS. Passenger side airbag ocular injury while wearing sunglasses. Br J of Ophthal, Apr, 1995;79(4):391.
- Cacciatori M, Bell RWD, Habib NE. Blow-out fracture of the orbit associated with inflation of an airbag: a case report. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 1997; 35:241-2.
- Campbell JK. Automobile air bag eye injuries. Nebraska Med J, Sept, 1993; 306:7.
- Chialant D, Damji KF. Ultrasound biomicroscopy in diagnosis of a cyclodialysis cleft in a patient with corneal edema and hypotony after an air bag injury. Can J Ophthalmol, 2000; 35:148-50.
- Dalmotas DJ, German A, Hendrick BE, Hurley RM. Airbag Deployments: The Canadian Experience. J Trauma, Apr, 1995; 38(4):476-81.
- Driver PJ, Cashwell R, Yeatts P. Airbag-associated bilateral hyphemas and angle recession. Am J Ophthalmo, Aug, 1994; 118(2):250-1.
- Dubois J, Stewart E. Ocular injuries from air bag deployment. J Ophthalmic Nurs Techn, July/Aug, 1998; 17(4):147-50.
- Duma S.M., Kress T.A., Porta D.J., Woods C.D., Snider J.N., Fuller P.M., Simmons R.J., “Air Bag Induced Eye Injuries: A Report of 25 Cases,” The Journal of Trauma, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 114-119, 1996.
- Fukagawa K, Tsubota K, Kimura C, Hata S, Mashita T, Sugimoto T, Oguchi Y, Corneal Endothelial Cell Loss Induced by Air Bags. Opthalm, 1993; 100:1819-23.
- Gault JA, Vichnin MC, Jaeger EA, Jeffers JB. Ocular injuries associated with eyeglass wear and airbag inflation. J Trauma, 1995; 38(4):494-7.
- Geggel HS, Griggs PB, Freeman MI. Irreversible Bullous Keratopathy after Air Bag Trauma. The CLAO J, 1996; 22(2):148.
- Giguere JF, St-Vil D, Turmel A, Di Lorenzo M, Pothel C, Manseau S, Mercier C. Airbags and children: a spectrum of C-spine injuries. J Pediatr Surg, Jun, 1998; 33(6):811-6.
- Goldberg MA, Valluri S, Pepose JS. Air bag related corneal rupture after radial keratotomy. Am J of Ophthalmol, Dec, 1995; 120(6):800-2.
- Han DP. Retinal detachment caused by air bag injury. Arch Ophthal, Oct, 1993; 111:1317-8.
- Hunt L. Ocular injuries from driver's air bag. Insight, Apr, 1995; 20(1):18-9.
- Ingraham HJ, Perry HD, Donnenfeld ED. Air-bag keratitis. N Engl J Med, May, 1991; 324(22):1599-600.
- Kuhn F, Morris R, Witherspoon CD. Eye injury and the air bag. Curr Opin Ophthalmol, June, 1995; 6(3):38-44.
- Larkin GL. Airbag mediated corneal injury. Am J Emerg Med, 1991; 9:444-6.
- Lee WB, O'Halloran HS, Pearson PA, Sen HA, Reddy SH. Airbags and bilateral eye injury: five case reports and a review of the literature. J of Emerg Med, 2001; 20(2):129-34.
- Lemley HL, Chodosh J, Wolf TC, Bogie CP, Hawkins TC. Partial dislocation of laser in situ keratomileusis flap by air bag injury. J Refract Surg, 2000;16:373-4.
- Lesher MP, Durrie DS, Stiles MC. Corneal edema, hyphema, and angle recession after air bag inflation. Arch Ophthal, Oct, 1993; 111:1320-2.
- Lueder GT. Air bag-associated ocular trauma in children. Ophthalmol, Aug, 2000; 107(8):1472-5.
- Manche EE, Goldberg RA, Mondino BJ. Air bag related ocular injuries. Ophthalmic Surg, Mar, 1997; 28(3):246-50.
- McDermott ML, Shin DH, Hughes BA, Vale S. Anterior segment trauma and air bags [letter]. Arch Ophthalmol, 1995, 113(12):1567-8.
- Michaeli-Cohen A, Neufeld M, Lazar M, Geyer O, Haddad R, Kashtan H. Bilateral corneal contusion and angle recession caused by an airbag [letter]. Br J Ohpthalmol 1996; 80(5):487.
- Mishler KE. Hyphema caused by airbag. Arch Ophthalmol, Dec, 1991; 109:1635.
- Molia LM, Stroh E. Airbag injury during low impact collision. Br J Ophthalmol, May, 1996; 80(5):487-8.
- Norden RA, Perry HD, Donnenfeld ED, Montoya C. Air bag-induced corneal flap folds after laser in situ keratomileusis [In Process Citation]. Am J Ophthalmol, 2000; 130:234-5.
- O'Halloran HS, Draud K, Stevens JL. Primary enucleation as a consequence of airbag injury. J Trauma, June, 1998; 44(6):1090.
- Onwuzuruigbo CJ, Fulda GJ, Larned D, Hailstone D. Traumatic blindness after airbag deployment: bilateral lenticular dislocation. J Trauma, 1996; 40(2):314-6.
- Rimmer S, Shuler JD. Severe ocular trauma from a driver side air bag. Arch Ophthalmol, June, 1991; 109:774.
- Rosenblatt M, Freilich B, Kirsch D. Air bag-associated ocular injury. Arch Ophthalmol. Oct, 1993; 111(10):1318.
- Rosenblatt M, Freilich B, Kirsch D. Air bags: tradeoffs. N Eng J Med, 1991; 21:1518.
- Ruiz-Moreno JM. Air bag-associated retinal tear. Eur J Ophthalmol, Jan-Mar, 1998; 8(1):52-3.
- Sastry SM, Copeland RA, Mezghebe H, Siram SM. Retinal hemorrhage secondary airbag related ocular trauma. J Trauma, 1995; 38(4):582.
- Scott IU, Stark WJ. Airbag associated ocular injury. Arch Ophthal, Oct, 1993; 111:1318.
- Shah GK, Penne R, Grand MG. Purtscher's retinopathy secondary to airbag injury. Retina, 2001; 21(1):68-9.
- Singer HW. Potential air bag-related eye injuries require special ER attention. J Ophthalmic Nurs Technol, Jan-Feb, 1998; 17(1):21-2.
- Smally AJ, Binzer A, Dolin S, Viano D. Alkaline chemical keratitis: eye injury from airbags. Ann Emerg Med, Nov, 1992; 21:1400-2.
- Smock WS, Nichols GR. Airbag module cover injuries. J Trauma, Apr, 1995; 38(4):489-93.
- Stein JD, Jaeger EA, Jeffers JB. Air bags and ocular injuries. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc, 1999; 97:59-82.
- Steinmann R. A 40-year-old woman with an air bag-mediated injury. J Emerg Nurs, Aug, 1992; 18(4): 308-10.
- Stitzel J., Duma S., Herring I., Cormier J., Hurst W., “A Nonlinear Finite Element Model of the Eye with Experimental Validation for the Prediction of Globe Rupture,” Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 46, pp. 81-102, 2002.
- Stranc MF. Eye injury resulting from the deployment of an airbag [letter]. Br J Plastic Surg, July, 1999; 52(5):418.
- Swanson-Biearman B, Mrvos R, Dean BS, Krenzelok EP. Air bags: lifesaving with toxic potential. Am J Emerg Med, Jan, 1993; 11(1):38-9.
- Totten VY, Fani-Salek MH, Chandramohan K. Hyphema Associated with Air Bag Deployment in a Pediatric Trauma Patient. Am J Emer Med, 1998; 16(1):102.
- Tsuda Y, Wakiyama H, Amemiya T. Ocular injury caused by an air bag for a driver wearing eyeglasses. Jpn J Ophthalmol, May-June, 1999; 43(3):239-40.
- Vichnin MC, Jaeger EA, Gault JA, Jeffers JB. Ocular injuries related to air bag inflation. Ophthalmic Surg, Dec, 1995; 26(6):542-8.
- Walter DP, James MR. An unusual mechanism of airbag injury. Injury, 1996; 27(7):523-4.
- Walz FH, Mackay M, Gloor B. Airbag deployment and eye perforation by a tobacco pipe. J Trauma, Apr, 1995; 38(4):498-501.
- Weinman SA., Automobile Air Bag-Mediated Injury: A Case Presentation. J Emerg Nurs, Feb, 1995; 21(1):84-5.
- Whitacre MM, Pilchard WA, Kan SM. Air bag injury producing retinal dialysis and detachment. Arch Ophthalmol, Oct, 1993; 111:1320.
- White JE, McClafferty K, Orton RB, Tokareqicz AC, Nowak ES. Ocular alkali burn associated with automobile air-bag activation. CMAJ, Oct, 1995; 153(7):933-4.
- Zabriskie NA, Hwang IP, Ramsey JF, Crandall AS. Anterior lens capsule rupture caused by air bag trauma. Am J Ophthalmol, June, 1997; 123(6):832-3.
- Zacovic JW, McGuirk TD, Knoop KJ. Bilateral Hyphemas as a Result of Air Bag Deployment. Am J Emer Med, 1997; 15(3):323.
- Muller-Jensen K, Hollweck W. Serious eye injuries produced by windshield damage - an actual problem in ophthalmology. 14th Annual Stapp Car Crash Conference, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Nov 1970.
- Duma SM, Kress TA, Porta DJ, Woods CD, Snider JN, Fuller PM, Simmons RJ. Air Bag Induced Eye Injuries: A Report of 25 Cases. J Trauma, 1996; 41(1):114-9.
- Ghafouri A, Burgess SK, Hrdlicka ZK, Zagelbaum BM. Air bag related ocular trauma. Am J Emerg Med, July, 1997; 15(4):389-92.
- Duma SM, Crandall JR. Eye injuries from airbags with seamless module covers. J Trauma, Apr, 2000; 48(4)786-9.
- Cacciatori M, Bell RWD, Habib NE. Blow-out fracture of the orbit associated with inflation of an airbag: a case report. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1997;35:241-2.
- Hartzell KN, Botek AA, Goldberg SH. Orbital fractures in women due to sexual assault and domestic violence. Ophthalmol 1996;103(6):953-7.
- Hatton MP, Watkins LM, Rubin PAD. Orbital Fractures in Children. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 2001;17(3):174-9.
- Huber A, Fischer J, Simbrunner J. An unusual case of a blow-out fracture. Entrance of a bone fragment into the frontal lobe after a ski accident. Neurochirurgia (Stuttg) 1993, 35(4):137-9.
- Bullock JD, Warwar RE, Ballal DR, Ballal RD. Mechanisms of orbital floor fractures: a clinical, experimental, and theoretical study. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 1999;97:87-113.
- Fujino T. Experimental ‘blowout’ fracture of the orbit. Plast Reconstr Surg 1974a;54:81-2.
- Fujino T, Makino K. Entrapment mechanism and ocular injury in orbital blowout fracture. Plast Reconstr Surg 1980;65:571-4.
- Hudson JW, Russell RM, Gerard DA, Lake HP. Experimentally Induced Facial Third Fractures in Unembalmed Human Cadaver Heads. J Trauma 1997;42(2):705-10.
- Jin HR, Shin SO, Choo MJ, Choi YS. Relationship between the extent of fracture and the degree of enophthalmos in isolated blowout fractures of the medial orbital wall. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2000;58(6):617-21.
- Warwar RE, Bullock JD, Ballal DR, Ballal RD. Mechanisms of orbital floor fractures: a clinical, experimental, and theoretical study. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg 2000;16(3):188-200.
- Waterhouse N, Lyne J, Urdang M, Garey L. An investigation into the mechanism of orbital blowout fractures. Br J Plast Surg 1999;52(8):607-12.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), National Automotive Sampling System (NASS), Crashworthiness Data System, 1993-1999, Department of Transportation (DOT) HS 808985, 8, Washington D.C., 1999.
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM), The Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS) 1998 Revision, Des Plains, IL, 1998.
- Atkinson T, Atkinson P. Knee injuries in motor vehicle collisions: a study of the National Accident Sampling System database for the years 1979-1995. Accident Analysis and Prevention, Nov, 2000; 32(6): 779-86.
- Farmer CM, Braver ER, Mitter EL. Two-vehicle side impact crashes: The relationship of vehicle and crash characteristics to injury severity. Acc Anal Prev, May, 1997; 29(3): 399-406.
- Miller TR, Pindus NM, Douglass JB. Medically related motor vehicle injury costs by body region and severity. J Trauma, Feb, 1993; 34(2):270-5.
- Reiff DA, McGwin G, Rue LW: Splenic Injury in Side Impact Motor Vehicle Collisions: Effect of Occupant Restraints. J Trauma 2001;51(2):340-345.
- Segui-Gomez M: Driver Air Bag Effectiveness by Severity of the Crash. Am J Public Health 2000;90(10):1575-1581.
- Viano DC, Culver CC, Evans L, Frick M, Scott R. Involvement of older drivers in multivehicle side-impact crashes. Accid Anal Prev, Apr, 1990, 22(2):177-88.
- Burnstein Y, Klapper D, and Hersh PS. Experimental globe rupture after excimer laser photorefractive keratectomy. Arch Ophthalmol, 1995;113:1056-9.
- Campos M, Lee M, and McDonnell PJ. Ocular integrity after refractive surgery: effects of photorefractive keratectomy, phototherapeutic keratectomy, and radial keratotomy. Ophthalmic Surg, 1992; 23:598-602.
- Casebeer JC, Shapiro DR, Phillips S. Severe ocular trauma without corneal rupture after radial keratotomy: case reports. J Refract Corn Surg, 1994; 10:31-3.
- John ME Jr, Schmitt TE. Traumatic hyphema after radial keratotomy. Ann Ophthalmol, 1983; 15:930-2.
- Peacock LW, Slade SG, Martiz J, Chuang A, Yee RW. Ocular integrity after refractive procedures. Ophthalmol, 1997; 104:1079-83.
- Alvi NP, Donohue EK, Curnyn K, Sugar J. Rupture of radial keratotomy sites after presumed blunt trauma. Ophthal Surg Las, 1995; 26:574-5.
- Binder PS, Waring GO, Arrowsmith PN, Wang C. Histopathology of traumatic corneal rupture after radial keratotomy. Arch Ophthalmol, 1988; 106:1584-90.
- Chaudhry NA, Smiddy WE. Displacement of corneal cap during vitrectomy in a post-LASIK eye. Retina, 1998; 18:554-5.
- Glasgow BJ, Brown HH, Aizuss DH, Mondino BJ, Foos RY. Traumatic dehiscence of incisions seven years after radial keratotomy. Amer J Ophthalmol, 1988; 106:703-7.
- Leung AT, Rao SK, Lam DS. Traumatic partial unfolding of laser in situ keratomileusis flap with severe epithelial ingrowth. J Cataract Refract Surg, 2000; 26:135-9.
- Lindquist TD. Complications of corneal refractive surgery. Int Ophthalmol Clin, 1992; 32:97-114.
- McDonnell PJ, Lean JS, Schanzlin DJ. Globe rupture from blunt trauma after hexagonal keratotomy. Am J Ophthalmol, 1987; 103:241-2.
- Pearlstein ES, Agapitos PJ, Cantrill HL, Holland EJ, Williams P, Lindstrom RL. Ruptured globe after radial keratotomy. Amer J Ophthalmol, 1988; 106:755-6.
- Rashid ER, Waring GO. Complications of refractive keratotomy. In:Waring GO, ed. Refrac Keratot Myopia Astigm. St.Lewis, MO: Mosby; 1992:863-936.
- Vinger PF, Mieler WF, Oestreicher JH, Easterbrook M. Ruptured globes following radial and hexagonal keratotomy surgery. Arch Ophthalmol, 1996; 114:129-34.
- Zhaboyedov GD, Bondavera GS. Traumatic rupture of the eyeball after radial keratotomy. Vestnik Oftalmologii, 1990; 106:64-5.