This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Proteus® - MLS Cylinder Head Gasket Analysis Tool
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today, detailed up-front theoretical analysis is essential to shorten development time and decrease costs. Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) cylinder head gaskets we use are coated with a very thin rubber-like coating plus featuring other complicated geometric features, which makes the analysis a difficult task.
With the Proteus® software package we define a project, which consists of the manufacturing process of the main elements (like embossments or wave stopper) up to the functional parameters (like loading behaviour and durability). This paper presents how we start with the single layer element simulation and transfer the information into the multi-layer analysis. Both of those cases are 2D-axis-symmetrical. Further the developed information will be used for 3D simulations in other software packages
Besides the project approach in Proteus® we will briefly explain the theoretical basis. For that we start with the Method of the Local Functionals (MLF), a modification of the traditional FEM.
CitationPopielas, F., Ramkumar, R., Minkov, M., Alexandrovitsch, A. et al., "Proteus® - MLS Cylinder Head Gasket Analysis Tool," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0481, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0481.
- 1998 61 68
- Alexandrovich A. I. Kornouchov A. K. Popielas F. Weis A. 1999
- XXX Summer School “Advanced Problem in Mechanics” 2002 St-Petersburg Alexandrovich A.I. Kuvshinov P.A. Popielas F. The application of a method of local functionals for account tree-dimensional is intense - deformed condition of steel rectangular parallelepipeds with thin rubber interlayers
- 1998 94 97 Popielas Frank
- CAE Approach for Multi-Layer-Steel Cylinder Head gaskets (part 1) SAE 2000-01-1348 Chen Colin Dr. Obermaier Stefan Popielas Frank W.
- CAE Approach for Multi-Layer-Steel Cylinder Head Gaskets - Part 2) SAE 2003 (assigned 2003-01-483) Popielas Frank Chen Colin Dr. Ramkumar Rohit Rebien Harald Waldvogel Hans
- MLS Cylinder Head gasket Wave Stopper SAE 2003-01-0474 Kestly Mike Unseld Guenther Weiss Alfred Ludwig Joseph