This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Evaluation of the ELEVATE Two-stroke Automotive Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
ELEVATE (European Low Emission V4 Automotive Two-stroke Engine) was a research project part funded by the European Commission to design and develop a compact and efficient gasoline two-stroke automotive engine.
Five partners were involved in the project, IFP (Institut Français Du Pétrole) who were the project leaders, Lotus, Opcon (Autorotor and SEM), Politecnico di Milano and Queen's University Belfast.
The general project targets were to achieve Euro 3 emissions compliance without DeNOx catalisation, and a power output of 120 kW at 5000 rev/min with maximum torque of 250 Nm at 2000 rev/min. Specific targets were a 15% reduction in fuel consumption compared to its four-stroke counterpart and a size and weight advantage over the four-stroke diesel with significant reduction in particulate and NOx emissions.
This paper describes the design philosophy of the engine as well as the application of the various partner technologies used. Incorporated in the design was an air assisted direct fuel injection system, IAPAC, (Injection Assistée Par Air Comprimé) and a charge trapping valve system in the exhaust port. A dual delivery screw compressor for external scavenging supplied a high volume of low-pressure charge air and a low volume of higher-pressure air for the fuel injection system. A high-energy flexible ignition system was used and, at part load, a Controlled Auto Ignition (CAI) process was developed. Lessons learnt from the project, both advantages and associated problems, will be discussed, as well as results from testing. The actual engine tested was constrained by the financial and time limitations of a research funded project. A production version of the engine was partially designed using 3D CATIA. This will be shown and discussed also.
- Matteo Perotti - Politecnico di Milano
- Robert Kenny - Queen's University Belfast
- Geoffrey Cunningham - Queen's University Belfast
- Johnny Oscarsson - Opcon Autorotor AB
- Dave Blundell - Lotus Engineering, England
- Jamie Turner - Lotus Engineering, England
- Pierre Duret - IFP Powertrain Engineering
- Jacques Lavy - IFP Powertrain Engineering
- Goran Emanuelsson - Opcon SEM
- Jorgen Bengtsson - Opcon SEM
- Thomas Hammarström - Opcon SEM
CitationBlundell, D., Turner, J., Duret, P., Lavy, J. et al., "Design and Evaluation of the ELEVATE Two-stroke Automotive Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0403, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0403.
- DURET P. DABADIE JC. LAVY J. ALLEN J. BLUNDELL D. OSCARSSON J. EMANUELSSON G. PEROTTI M. KENNY R. CUNNINGHAM G. Innovative Design and Simulation Study of the ELEVATE Automotive Engine Project EAEC Barcelona July 1999
- DURET P. DABADIE JC. LAVY J. ALLEN J. BLUNDELL D. OSCARSSON J. EMANUELSSON G. PEROTTI M. KENNY R. CUNNINGHAM G. The Air Assisted Direct Injection ELEVATE Automotive Engine Combustion System SAE 2000-01-1899
- BLUNDELL D.W. SANDFORD M.H. Two-Stroke Engines: The Lotus Approach SAE 920779
- DURET P. ECOMARD A. AUDINET M. A New Two-Stroke Engine with Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection for High Efficiency Low Emissions Applications SAE 880176
- ONISHI S. JO S.H. SHODA K. JO P.D. KATO S. Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC)- A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines SAE 790501
- ISHIBASHI Y. TSUSHIMA Y. A Trial for Stabilizing Combustion in Two-Stroke Engines at Part Throttle Operation IFP International Seminar “A New Generation of Two-stroke Engines for the Future?” November 29-30 1993
- DURET P. VENTURI S. CAREY C. The IAPAC Fluid Dynamically Controlled Automotive Two-Stroke Combustion Process IFP International Seminar 1993
- SWEENEY M.E.G. KENNY R.G. SWANN G.B.G. BLAIR G.P. “Single cycle gas testing method for two-stroke engine scavenging” SAE Paper No. 850178 SAE International Congress & Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 25 March 1 1985
- DOPSON C. DRAKE T. Emissions Optimization by Cam Profile Switching SAE 910838
- HOPKINSON B. The Charging of Two-Cycle Engines Trans. N.E. Coast. Instn. Engrs. And Shipbuilders 30 433 462 1913-1914
- THORNHILL D. FLECK R. Design of a blower scavenged, piston-ported, V6, two-stroke automotive engine SAE 930980
- LAI MING C RATTON K. BALLES E.N. VANDYNE E. WAHL A DARIN B.J. HIRSCHLIEB G.C. In-Cylinder Air/Fuel Ratio Approximation Using Spark Gap Ionization Sensing SAE 980166