This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Fan System Electric Power on the Heat Performance of Engine Cooling Module
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study describes the influence of fan system electric power on the heat performance of engine cooling module versus vehicle speeds, from idle to maximum speed. Depending on the fan system electric power from 60 to 800 watts, for example, and even if the fan is switched on, their behaviors are different versus vehicle speeds. The 70 watts fan has its influence on the heat performance of engine cooling module until medium vehicle speeds but the high electric fan system power has its influence up to maximum speed. This study will focus on this phenomena, particularly, the difference between fan on and off is function of vehicle speeds. A simple simulation model  and  will be used to explain this phenomena. Also presented in this paper is the heat performance of cooling radiator and cooling module on the several vehicles tested in the climatic wind tunnel according to the cooling specifications. The influence of each parameter of electric fan will be also presented, for example,:
- System electric power,
- Size (blade diameter and hub),
- Fan shroud (full fan shroud, partial fan shroud and without fan shroud).
CitationAp, N., Guerrero, P., and Jouanny, P., "Influence of Fan System Electric Power on the Heat Performance of Engine Cooling Module," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0275, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0275.
- Ngy-Srun AP “A Simple Engine Cooling System Simulation Model.” SAE International. Technical paper n°1999-01-0237
- N.S.AP GUERRERO P. JOUANNY P. “Influence of Front End Vehicle, Fan and Shroud on the Heat Performance of A/C Condenser and cooling radiator” SAE International Technical paper n°2002-01-1206
- El-Bourini Refki Chen Samuel «Engine Cooling Module Development Using Air Flow Management Techniques» 1 1993 Columbus paper n° 931115
- BIDEAU Antoine “Modélisation de l'influence du condenseur sur le refroidissement moteur” 2000