This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Testing and CAE Modeling of Engine Mounts and their Application in Vehicle Crash Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study summarizes the latest development of the methodologies for testing and CAE modeling of the engine mount. A systematic approach is used in this study with detailed component, subsystem and full system level investigations. The component level study reveals the entangling phenomenon of the inertial and rate effects in the engine mount dynamic characteristics. In the subsystem, the interaction between the engine mount and its surrounding structure is explored. The full system study is primarily used to validate the CAE methodology for engine mounts developed in the component and subsystem level studies. Four full vehicle barrier crash tests, with different crash modes and speeds, are employed in this validation phase to evaluate the performance of the engine mount CAE methodology.
|Technical Paper||Finite element simulation of drive shaft in truck/SUV frontal crash|
|Aerospace Standard||Analytical Methods for Aircraft Seat Design and Evaluation|
|Technical Paper||Correlation of an Automotive Seat Finite Element Simulation with Dynamic Sled Testing|
CitationChen, Y., Tyan, T., and Faruque, O., "Dynamic Testing and CAE Modeling of Engine Mounts and their Application in Vehicle Crash Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0257, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0257.
- Chen Yijung, Tyan Tau and Faruque Omar, “Methodology on the Testing of the Automobile Mount Dynamic Response,” SAE 01B-248-2001.
- Chen Yijung, Tyan Tau and Faruque Omar, “Auto Mount Modeling Methodology For The Vehicle Crashworthiness,” USACM 2001.
- Chen Yijung, Tyan Tau and Faruque Omar, “Engine mount Modeling For Crashworthiness, Part I: Component Test and Data Processing,” Ford Internal Report.
- Chen Yijung, Tyan Tau and Faruque Omar, “Engine mount Modeling For Crashworthiness, Part II: Subsystem Modeling and Validation,” Ford Internal Report.
- Chen Yijung, Tyan Tau and Faruque Omar, “Engine mount Modeling For Crashworthiness, Part III: Full Vehicle Implementation,” Ford Internal Report.
- Miller P. Michael II, Lee J.C., Murthy R. Krishna and Cheng James, “Role of the Body mount on the Passenger Compartment Response of a Frame/Body Structured Vehicle in Frontal Crash,” SAE 980861.
- Huang Matthew, “On Body mount Crash Characteristics,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3186.
- Kang Stephen, Huang Matthew, Peng James, Yang Herbert and Culbertson Paul, “Use of Body mount Stiffness and Damping In CAE Crash Modeling,” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0120.
- Cheng J., “Body mount Crash Characteristic Identification - Test and Analysis”, SAE Truck and Bus Conference, Seattle, WA, SAE Paper No. 942255, Nov. 7-9, 1994.
- Cheng J. and Le J., “Challenge Faced by Truck Frontal Crash Analysis”, ASME Conference, Minneapolis, MN, 1994.
- Le J., Cheng J. and Harn W., “Simulation of Functional Stiffness for Generic Body mount”, SAE Paper No. 982391.
- Miller M. P., Lee J. C., Krishna M. R. and Cheng J., “Role of the Body mount on the Passenger Compartment Response of a Frame/Body Structured Vehicle in Frontal Crash”, SAE Paper No. 980861.