This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Five-Speed Starting Clutch Automatic Transmission Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A wet multi-plate clutch, designated as the “starting clutch”, is used to replace the torque converter in the automatic transmission in order to improve vehicle fuel economy. The transmission ratio spread must be increased to compensate for the torque multiplication of the torque converter and avoid penalizing the 0-60 mph acceleration performance. The main challenge of this concept is the control of the starting clutch to ensure acceptable vehicle drivability. This paper describes the system of a five-speed starting clutch automatic transmission vehicle and shows vehicle test results. Vehicle test data show that (i) the fuel economy benefit of the starting clutch is significant, and (ii) a starting clutch transmission can be designed to equal or better the 0-60 mph acceleration performance of a torque converter transmission by proper selection of the gear ratios.
CitationKao, C., Smith, A., and Usoro, P., "A Five-Speed Starting Clutch Automatic Transmission Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0248, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0248.
- Hiramatsu, T. Akagi, T. Yoneda, H. “Control Technology of Minimal Slip-Type Torque Converter Clutch,” SAE- 850460 1985
- Gott, P.G. Changing Gears: The Development of the Automotive Transmission Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1991
- Tung, S.C. Linden, J.L. “Modeling Torque Converter Clutch Viscous Damper Performance,” SAE- 850459 1985
- Smirl, R. Transmission January 25 1949
- Schneider, K.F. “Hydro-electronic Tension Belt Continuously Variable Transmission for Passenger Cars,” SAE-894079
- Hirano, S. Miller, A.L. Schneider, K.F. “SCVT - A State of the Art Electronically Controlled Continuously Variable Transmission,” SAE- 910410
- Honda Press Information July 5 1995
- Butts, K.R. Hebbale, K.V. “Acceleration-Based Control of Power-On Downshifting in an Automatic Transmission,” 1992
- Butts, K.R. Hebbale, K.V. Wang, K.-W. “Acceleration-Based Control of Power-On Clutch-to-Clutch Upshifting in an Automatic Transmission,” 1991