This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Mixture Formation Process in a Stoichiometric Direct Injection Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The stoichiometric direct injection gasoline engines have higher torque performance than the port injection engines, as the volumetric efficiency can be increased due to the cooling effects of charging air by the fuel evaporation in the cylinder. They need only 3-way catalyst, leading to the cost down. However there exists the injection timing (region) that increased volumetric efficiency does not lead to higher torque. In order to investigate the phenomena, the in-cylinder mixture formation process has been analyzed by the LIF and the CFD techniques. As the results, it has been revealed that the phenomena are caused by the inhomogeneous mixture distribution before the ignition timing.
CitationMatsubara, K., Shima, Y., Okumi, M., Asabatake, K. et al., "Analysis of Mixture Formation Process in a Stoichiometric Direct Injection Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0066, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0066.
- Kanda M. Baika T. Kato S. Iwamuro M. Koike M. Saito A. “Application of a New Combustion Concept to Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE 2000-01-0531 2000
- Kume T. Iwamoto Y. Lida K. Murakami M. Akishino K. Ando H. “Combustion control technologies for direct injection SI engines” SAE 960600 1996
- Ikeda Y. Sobue K. Tsuji S. Matsumoto S. “Development of NOx Storage Reduction Three-way Catalyst for D-4 Engines” SAE 1999-01-1279 1999
- Automotive Engineering International 107 7 “Direct gasoline injection from Renault” 1999
- Wyszynski L.P. Stone, C.R. Kalghatgi G.T. “The Volumetric Efficiency of Direct and Port Injection Gasoline Engines with Different Fuels” SAE Paper 2002-01-0839 2002
- Takeda K. Sugimoto T. Tsuchiya T. Ogawa M. Ueda S. Yoneshige K. “Slit Nozzle injector for A New Concept of Direct Injection SI Gasoline Engine” 2000-01-1902 2000
- Fujikawa T. Nomura Y. Hattori Y. “Analysis of Cycle-by-Cycle Variation in a Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence Technique” R&D Review of Toyota CRDL 36 4 2001
- Fujikawa T. Hattori Y. Koike M. Akihama K. Kobayashi T. Matsushita S. “Quantitative 2-D Fuel Distribution Measurements in a Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence Technique” JSME International Journal B 42 4 760 767 1999
- Gold M. Stokes J. Morgan R. Heikel M. de Sercey G. Begg S. “Air-Fuel Mixing in a Homogeneous Charge DI Gasoline Engine” SAE 2001-01-0968 2001
- Nomura Y. Miyagawa H. Fujikawa T. Tomoda T. Kubota M. Abe S. “Numerical Study of Mixture Formation and Combustion Process in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine with Fan-Shaped Spray” SAE 2001-01-0738 2001