This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spatial Distribution of Droplet Diameter of Wall-impinging-spray for Direct Injection Gasoline Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Spray characteristics such as spray shape and spatial distribution of droplet diameter remarkably influences on output and exhaust emissions of direct injection gasoline engines. Especially, spatial distribution of the droplet diameter after impingement of a spray against a piston cavity is one of the most important factors for output and exhaust emissions, but is not revealed sufficiently because of the difficulties of measurement.
In this paper, a new laser holography method that can obtain spatial distribution of droplet diameter over the spray in a short time was developed. And with this method, differences of spatial distribution of Sauter mean diameter (SMD) of droplets between before and after impingement on a flat wall in a high-pressure chamber were revealed using a prototype injector. Effects of impinging angle and distance against the wall on spatial SMD distribution were also investigated.
CitationSato, T., Shirabe, N., Anezaki, Y., and Okamoto, A., "Spatial Distribution of Droplet Diameter of Wall-impinging-spray for Direct Injection Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0063, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0063.
- Anezaki Y. Shirabe N. Kanehara K. Sato T. 3D Spray Measurement System for High Density Fields Using Laser Holography SAE 2002-01-0739 2002
- Masuda M. Yano H. Aoki T. Matsuo K. Particle Sizing with Inline Laser Holography using an Ultraviolet Laser Journal of the visualization society of Japan 18 71 72 1998
- Meng H. Estevadeordal J. Gogineni S. Goss L. Roquemore W.M. Holographic Flow Visualization as a tool for studying 3D Coherent Structures and Instabilities Proceedings of The Second International Workshop on PIV'97-Fukui 27 34 1997
- Meng H. Hussain F. In-Line recording and Off-axis viewing technique for holographic particle velocimetry Applied Optics 34 11 1827 1840 1995
- Yamakawa M. Nishida K. Kamikawa M. Yoshizaki T. Hiroyasu H. Development of Three Dimensional Measurement System for Droplet Size Distribution via Pulsed Laser Holography Method Jounal of the ILASS-Japan 8 23 130 137 1999
- Zhang J. Katz J. Off-axis HPIV with Forward Light Scattering from Particles ASME 1994 191 173 177 1994
- Reitz R.D. Diwakar R. Effect of Drop Breakup on Fuel Sprays SAE 860469 1986