This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis on Behaviors of Swirl Nozzle Spray and Slit Nozzle Spray in Relation to DI Gasoline Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Behavior of sprays formed by slit nozzle as well as swirl nozzles with the spray cone angle in the range of 40° ∼110 ° were studied in a constant volume N2 gas chamber. The fuels used are iso-pentane, n-heptane, benzene and gasoline. The ambient pressure and temperature were raised up to 1.0 MPa and 465 K, respectively. The injection pressure was mainly set at 8 MPa. Spray penetrates at an almost constant speed for a while after injection start and begins to decelerate at a certain point. This point was judged as breakup point, based on a momentum theory on spray motion, the observation of spray inside and the analysis of the spray front reacceleration which occurs under highly volatile condition. A simple breakup model was proposed taking into consideration the above analysis, and the equation which represents the breakup condition was introduced as the relation among the non-dimensional functions including such factors as spray cone angle, fuel property, injection pressure, ambient pressure and ambient temperature. Based on this relation, the experimental formulas including major design factors were established for breakup condition.
CitationTanaka, Y., Takano, T., Sami, H., Sakai, K. et al., "Analysis on Behaviors of Swirl Nozzle Spray and Slit Nozzle Spray in Relation to DI Gasoline Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0058, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0058.
- Yanagihara, H. Sami, H. “Current Technology and Prospect on Spark Ignition Stratified Charge Engine” Journal of JSME 85 759 172 179 1982
- Tomoda, T. Sasaki, S. Sawada, D Saito, A. Sami, H. “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine- Study of Stratified Mixture Formation” SAE Trans. No. 970539 1997
- Iwamoto, Y Noma, K. Nakagawa, O. Yamaguchi, T. Ando, H. “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” SAE Trans. No. 970541 1997
- Karl, G. Kemmler, R. Bargende, M Abthoff, J. “Analysis of a Direct-Injected Internal Combustion Engine” SAE Trans., No.970624 1997
- Kanda, M. Baika, T. Kato, S. Iwamoto, M. Koike, M. Saito, A. “Application of a New Combustion Concept to Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 2000-01-0531 2000
- Morikawa, H. Moriyoshi, Y. Kamimoto, T. “Flame Propagation Phenomena in Simplified Stratified Charge Condition” No. 98-1 JSME Proceedings III 545 546 1998
- Ranasinghe, J Cant, S. “A Turbulent Combustion Model for a Stratified Charged, Spark Ignited Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-0275 2000
- Zeng, Y. Lee, C. “Modeling of Spray Vaporization and Air-Fuel Mixing in Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-0537 2000
- Shiraishi, N. Sakai, K. Nagasaka, S. Takano, T. Sami, H. “A Study on Direct Injection Gasoline Combustion Using Constant Volume Combustion Vessel -Diagnostics of Stratification Degree Affected by Major Design Factors-” Proceedings of 2001 Comodia 178 186 2001
- Wakuri, Y. Fujii, M. Amitani, T. Tsuneya, R. “Studies on the Penetration of Fuel Spray in a Diesel Engine” Bulletin of JSME 3 9 123 130 1960
- Hiroyasu, H. Arai, M. “Fuel Spray Penetration and Spray Angle in Diesel Engine” Trans. of JSAE 21 5 11 1980
- Nishiyama, M. Sakai, K. Osumi, N. Kikuchi, M. Takano, T. Sami, H. “Behavior of High Volatility Fuel Spray in High Temperature and High Pressure Atmosphere Relating to Direct Injection Combustion” Trans. of JSME (B) 67 654 550 558 2001
- The Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry Japan “Solvent Pocket Book (in Japanese)” 77 197 251 1997
- Matsushita, S. Satou, M. Gouno, T. Sawada, D. Saito, A. “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine (in Japanese)” Description of 47 th JSAE Award in R&D Field 6 1997
- Klusender, O. “Zum Einspritzvorgang in der kompressorlosen Dieselmaschine” VDI-Z. 171 172 1933
- Lefebvre, A. H. “Atomization and Spray” 27 37 Hemisphere Publishing Corporation 1989
- Eisenklam, P. Arunachalam, S. A. Weston, J. A. Proc. 11 th Symp. Combust. 715 728 1966