This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
67 Analysis of Mixture Conditions in a Small Two Stroke Engine Using a Gas Sampling Valve
Published October 29, 2002 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
The quality of mixture formation and the combustion process is of significant importance for reducing the hydrocarbon emissions of small two stroke engines. The scope of this work was to investigate the mixture conditions after the exhaust closes and after the end of combustion depending on various engine operating points. For this experimental investigation a Gas Sampling Valve (GSV) was combined with a flame ionisation detector (FID) and a CO2-analyser. Using this technique, it was possible to measure the hydrocarbon concentration after end of combustion. Furthermore the local residual gas concentration after exhaust closes was determined.
To allow for a comparison of the experimental results with calculations with CFD codes, in cylinder pressure measurement and exhaust gas measurements are done additionally.
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Mixture Conditions Close to Spark Plug Location using a Time Resolved Gas Sampling Valve|
|Technical Paper||Modelling of a Solid-Electrolyte Oxygen Sensor|
|Technical Paper||Determination of Residual Gas Fraction in IC Engines|
CitationGegg, T., Jäger, A., Tribulowski, J., Mugele, M. et al., "67 Analysis of Mixture Conditions in a Small Two Stroke Engine Using a Gas Sampling Valve," SAE Technical Paper 2002-32-1836, 2002.
- Cobb, B. “CWI, Low cost fuel injection for two-stroke engines” Internationale Jahrestagung für die Entwicklung von Kleinmotoren (International Annnual Conference on Small Engine Development) Offenburg Germany 2001
- Yoshida, Y. Uenoyama, K. Kawahara, Y. Kudo, K. “Development of Stratified Scavenging Two-Stroke Cycle Engine for Emission Reduction” SAE 1999-01-3269 / JSAE 99938024
- EPA Regulatory Announcement “Final Phase II Standards for Spark-Ignition Handheld Engines” 2000
- Mugele, M. Tribulowski, J. Peters, H. Spicher, U. Rosskamp, H. “Numerical Analysis of Gas Exchange and Combustion Process in a Small Two Stroke Gasoline Engine” SAE 2001-01-3602 2001
- Kölmel, A. Spicher, U. Düsterwald, R. Wytrykuss, F.M. “Analysis of Mixture Conditions close to Spark Plug Location using a Time Resolved Gas Sampling Valve” SAE 982473 1998
- SMETec GmbH “User Guide - Gas Sampling System” Geilenkirchen 1997
- Bignion, E. 2002