This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
17 Study on Auto-Ignition and Combustion Completion of n-Butane in a Two-stroke Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine
Published October 29, 2002 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) is good method to be higher efficiency and to reduce NOx emission and particular matter together than conventional SI combustion engine. But HCCI depends on chemical reaction of fuel and air mixture. So controlling of ignition timing is difficult, and HCCI is high THC and CO emissions because temperature can't reach the enough temperature to reduce those. In this study, we investigated factor for auto ignition timing and combustion completion on n-Butane/Air mixture by a two-stroke HCCI engine. Auto Ignition temperature are known to be decided by fuel(1), for n-Butane, the temperature was 1150±30K. And as we researched combustion completion from In-cylinder gas temperature, increasing In-cylinder gas temperature caused high combustion efficiency and low THC, CO emissions.
CitationTAKEI, T. and IIDA, N., "17 Study on Auto-Ignition and Combustion Completion of n-Butane in a Two-stroke Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-32-1786, 2002.
- IIDA N. “A Study of Autoignition and Combustion in Two-Stroke ATAC Engine - Compression Ignition Characteristics of Low Carbon Alternative Fuels” SAE 1999-01-3274 / JSAE 9938029
- ISHIBASHI Y. ISOMURA S. KUDO O. TSUSHIMA Y. “A Trial for Stabilizing Combustion in Two-Stroke Engines at Part Throttle Operation” HONDA R&D Technical Review 6 1994 80 88
- ISHIBASHI Y. “Basic Understanding of Activated Radical Combustion and its Two-Stroke Engine Application and Benefits” SAE Paper 2001-01-1836
- IIDA N. “Combustion Analysis of Methanol-Fueled Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion Process for Internal Combustion (ATAC) Engine Using a Spectroscopic Observation” SAE Paper 940648
- HULTQVIST A. CHRISTENSEN M. JOHANSSON B. FRANKE A. RICHETER M. ALDEN M. “A Study of the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Process by Chemiluminescence Imagine” SAE 1999-01-3680
- ICHIKURA T. ITO K. KASE K. ENOMOTO Y. Iida N. “Stability ofAuto-Ignition and Combustion in Low-Heat-Rejection Ceramic Methanol ATAC Engine-Analysis of Cyclic Variation at High-Temperature Wall and Lean Burn 13th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium 60 1996 Japan