This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pediatric Pelvic Fractures in Side Impact Collisions
Published November 11, 2002 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Little is known about the mechanism of pelvic injury in the pediatric population, an age range over which the pelvis undergoes tremendous structural change. We hypothesize that these structural changes influence pelvic fracture injury mechanisms. A probability sample of children under age 16 years in crashes were enrolled in an on-going crash surveillance system which links insurance claims data to telephone survey and crash investigation data. 15,725 children in side impact collisions were studied. Risk of pelvic fracture in side impact collisions was estimated and factors associated with these injuries were identified. Eight cases were examined using in-depth investigation to identify the injury mechanisms.
Of our study sample, 0.10% of children suffered a pelvic fracture. The typical child with a pelvic fracture was a 12-15 year old female front row occupant of a passenger car involved in a struck side collision with intrusion. Analyses of the in-depth crash investigations determined that the developmental age of the child was the most important parameter associated with the type of pelvic fracture. Children 8-11 years experienced isolated pubic rami fractures, whereas children 12-15 years experienced multiple fractures of the pelvic ring. This distinct injury pattern is directly related to the ossification during puberty of the cartilage connecting the three bones of the pelvis. A secondary influence on the injury pattern was the geometrical and stiffness incompatibilities between impact partners that resulted in vehicle deformation and rotation of the vehicle seat. In the effort to improve the side impact protection of vehicles, attention should be paid to improved structural chassis design that minimizes the dynamic deformation of the seat.
CitationArbogast, K., Mari-Gowda, S., Kallan, M., Durbin, D. et al., "Pediatric Pelvic Fractures in Side Impact Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 2002-22-0015, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-22-0015.
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine The Abbreviated Injury Scale, 1990 Revision Des Plaines, IL; 1990
- Burgess, A, Eastridge, B, Young, J, Ellison, T, Ellison, P, Poka, A, Bathon, G Brumback, R 1990 Pelvic ring disruptions: effective classification system and treatment protocols Journal of Trauma 30 7 848 856
- Canale, S, Daugherty, K Jones, L 1998 Campbell’s Operative Orthopedics. Mosby, New York
- Cavanaugh, J Walilko, T Malhotra, A Zhu, Y King, A 1990 Biomechanical response and injury tolerance of the pelvis in twelve sled side impacts Proc. 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1 12 Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Cesari, D Ramet, M Bouquet, R 1983 Tolerance of human pelvic to fractures and proposed pelvic protection criterion to be measures on side impact dummies Proc. 9th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 261 269 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC.
- Chamouard, F Tarriere, C Baudrit, P 1996 Protection of children on board vehicles: influence of pelvis design and thigh and abdomen stiffness on the submarining risk for dummies installed on a booster Proc. 15th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 1063 1075 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC.
- Dakin, G Arbelaez, R Molz, F Alonso, J Mann, K Eberhardt, A 2001 Elastic and viscoelastic properties of the human pubic symphysis joint: effects of lateral impact joint loading Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 123 3 218 226
- Durbin, D Bhatia, E Holmes, J Shaw, K Werner, J Sorenson, W Winston, F 2001 Partners for Child Passenger Safety: A unique child-specific crash surveillance system Accident Analysis and Prevention 33 407 412
- Durbin, D Winston, F Applegate, S Moll, E Holmes, J 1999 Development and validation of ISAS/PR: A new injury severity assessment survey Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 153 4 404 408
- Frampton, R Brown, R Thomas, P Fay, P 1998 The importance of non-struck side occupants in side collision Proc. 42nd Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Annual Meeting 303 320 Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, Des Plaines, IL.
- Gokcen, E Burgess, A Siegel, J Mason-Gonzalez, S Dischinger, P Ho, SM 1994 Pelvic fracture mechanism of injury in vehicular trauma patients Journal of Trauma 36 6 789 796
- Grattan, E Hobbs, J 1969 Injuries to the hip joint in car occupants British Medical Journal 1 71 73
- Gray, H Clemente, C 1984 Gray’s Anatomy of the Human Body Lea and Febinger, New York
- Haffner, M 1985 Synthesis of pelvic fracture criteria for lateral impact loading Proc. 10th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 132 162 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC.
- Horlick, M Thorton, J Wang, J Levine, L Fedun, B Pierson, R 2000 Bone mineral in prepubertal children: gender and ethnicity Journal Of Bone And Mineral Research 15 7 1393 1397
- Horton, T Cohn, S Heid, M Augenstein, J Bowen, J McKenney, M Duncan, R 2000 Identification of trauma patients at risk of thoracic aortic tear by mechanism of injury Journal of Trauma 48 6 1008 1013
- Ismail, N Bellemare, J Mollitt, D DiScala, C Koeppel, B Tepas, J 1996 Death from pelvic fractures: children are different Journal of Pediatric Surgery 31 1 82 85
- Junkins, E Nelson, D Carroll, K Hansen, K Furnival, R 2001 A prospective evaluation of the clinical presentation of pediatric pelvic fracture Journal of Trauma 51 64 68
- Lewis, P, Molz, F, Schmidtke, S M Bidez, 1996 A NASS-based investigation of pelvic injury within the motor vehicle crash environment Proc. 40th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1 7 Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA
- McIntyre, R Bensard, D Moore, E Chambers, J Moore, F 1993 Pelvic fracture geometry predicts risk of life threatening hemorrhage in children Journal of Trauma 35 3 423 429
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. 2002 NHTSA Vehicle Safety Rulemaking Priorities 2002-2005. Federal Register 67 143 48599 48601
- Neu, C Manz, F Rauch, F Merkel, A Schoenau, E 2001 Bone Densities and Bone Size at the Distal Radius in healthy children and adolescents: a study using peripheral quantitative computed tomography. Bone 28 2 227 232
- Nusholtz, G Alem, N Melvin, J 1982 Impact response and injury of the pelvis Proc. 26th Stapp Car Crash Conference 103 144 Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Rieger, H Brug, E 1997 Fractures of the pelvis in children Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research 336 226 239
- Seyer, K Newland, C Terrell, M Dalmotas, D 2000 The effect of mass, stiffness, and geometry on injury outcome in side impacts -- a parametric study Proc. 44th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1 11 Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Siegel, J Dalal, S Burgess, A Young, J 1990 Pattern of organ injuries in pelvic fracture: impact force implications for survival and death in motor vehicle injuries Accident Analysis and Prevention 22 5 457 466
- Siegel, J Mason-Gonzalez, S Dischinger, P Cushing, B Read, K Robinson, R Smialek, J Heatfield, B Hilll, W Bents, F 1993 Safety belt restraints and compartment intrusions in frontal and lateral motor vehicle crashes: mechanisms of injuries, complications, and acute care costs Journal of Trauma 34 5 736 758
- Silber, J Flynn, J 2002 Changing patterns of pediatric pelvic fractures with skeletal maturation: implications for classification and management Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics 22 22 26
- States, J States, D 1968 The pathology and pathogenesis of injuries caused by lateral impact accidents Proc. 12th Stapp Car Crash Conference 72 93 Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA
- Thomas, P, Frampton R. 1999 Injury patterns in side collisions-a new look with reference to current test methods and injury criteria Proc. 43th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1 12 Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Torode, I Zieg, D 1985 Pelvic fractures in children Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics 5 76 84