This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Two-Piece Oil Control Ring with Enhanced Conformability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 19, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The two major working characteristics of the oil control ring are: to scrape the lubricant oil from the bore wall in the direction of the crankcase and to maintain a sufficient amount of lubricant oil to the compression rings above it in order to sustain a suitable lubricant film thickness between the rings and the bore. The oil control ring efficiency is the outcome of the combination of the following parameters: the conformability, the pressure against the bore wall, the sort of the contact between the ring and the bore, and the oil scraping dynamics. A new oil control ring, called Monoland®, designed to enhance conformability by making its radial wall more flexible without raising its tangential load is presented in this paper. Moreover, this new ring profile enables the reduction of the tangential load without reducing contact pressure and conformability thus ensuring an ample oil consumption performance with low friction loss.
|Technical Paper||A Lubrication and Oil Transport Model for Piston Rings Using a Navier-Stokes Equation with Surface Tension|
|Technical Paper||Reduction of Friction Loss through the Use of Rolling Big-End Bearings|
|Technical Paper||IDI Lubrication and Wear|
CitationPanelli, R. and Ferrarese, A., "A New Two-Piece Oil Control Ring with Enhanced Conformability," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3371, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3371.
- Demarchi, Valdir Vatavuk, Jan “Configurations and Materials of Oil Control Rings to Meet the New Internal Combustion Engines Requirements - 921451 E” Society of Automotive Engineers 1992
- Cullen, A. Joao Dixon, Richard F. Ma, Jiubo “Plastic Oil Rings for Diesel Engines: A Preliminary Evaluation - 960049” Society of Automotive Engineers 1996
- de Moura, E. Lendell Laugênio, Milton Saade, F. Freire, N Tomanik, E. “Evolution of Oil Rings in the Internal Combustion Engines” Companhia Fabricadora de Peças 10 1990
- Golloch, Rainer Kessen, Uwe Merker, Günter P. “Tribologische Untersuchungen an der Kolbengrouppe eines Nfz-Dieselmotors” 63 494 500 2002
- Panelli, Renato Ferrarese, André “Anel de Óleo para motor de Combustão Interna” INPI 2001