This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of CFD for Racing Car Analysis and Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper demonstrates the validation of a CFD code for external and internal automotive flows. Specifically, it illustrates the ability of rapid multi-block grid regeneration for topologically similar configurations, and the modelling of the effect of vortex generators without the addition of their physical geometry to the solution domain. This flow control technology is then applied to the air inlet and duct system of a generic-racing car to demonstrate how the performance may be modified.
|Technical Paper||The Impact of Aerodynamics on Vehicle Performance in a Formula SAE Racing Style Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Evaluation on Formula SAE Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study of Open-Wheel Race-Car Front Wings|
CitationWilliams, M. and Shires, A., "Validation of CFD for Racing Car Analysis and Design," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3349, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3349.
- Shaw, J.A. Georgala, J.M. Childs, P.N. McHugh, C.A. May, N.E. Peace, A.J. “Validation and evaluation of the advanced aeronautical CFD system SAUNA - a method developer's view.” 1993 European Forum on Recent Developments and Applications in Aeronautical CFD September 1993
- Shires, A. ‘Trailing-edge Flows on Highly Swept Wings.’ 1998
- Lienhart, H. Stoots, C. Becker, S. ‘Flow and Turbulence Structures in the Wake of a Simplified Car Model (Ahmed Model)
- Gillieron, P Chometon, F. ‘Modeling of Stationary Three-dimensional Separated Air Flows around an Ahmed Reference Model.’
- Baxendal, Anthony J. Graysmith, Jackie L. Howell, J. Haynes, T. ‘Comparisons between CFD and Experimental Results for the Ahmed Reference Model.’ Royal Aeronautical Society Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference July 1994
- ‘Air Intakes for High Speed Vehicles’ AGARD Advisory Report 270 Fluid Dynamics Working Group 13 September 1991
- Kunik, William G. ‘Application of a Computational Model for Vortex Generators in internal flows.’ AIAA-86-1458,AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE 22nd Joint Propulsion Conference June 1986
- Anderson, Bernhard H. Gibb, James ‘Application of Computational Fluid Dynamics to the Study of Vortex Flow Control for the Management of Inlet Distortion.’ AIAA/ASME/SAE 28 th Joint Propulsion Conference July 1992
- May, N.E. ‘Code Implementation and Initial Evaluation of a Vortex Generator Model.’
- Pearcey, H.H. ‘Shock-Induced Separation and its Prevention by Design and Boundary Layer Control’ ‘Boundary Layer And Flow Control’ Lachmann. G.V. Permagon Press 1961
- Fox, R.W. Klein, S.J. ‘Flow Regimes in Curved Subsonic diffusers’ Journal of Basic Engineering September 1962
- Seddon, J. Goldsmith, E.L. ‘Intake Aerodynamics’ Collins 1985