This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lateral Aerodynamics of a Generic Sprint Car Configuration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerodynamic characteristics of a sprint car model were tested in a small-scale wind tunnel. Lateral characteristics such as the side force and rolling moment were measured in addition to the vehicle's downforce and drag. Measured data indicated that during the rapid cornering of these race cars, lateral loads are as important as downforce. Since literature search revealed no aerodynamic data on such asymmetric vehicles, a typical baseline sprint car model was tested first with particular focus on large sideslip conditions. Modified wing and side fin geometries were also tested for improved visibility and in search for additional downforce. The experimental data indicate, for example, that a reduced endplate size of the main wing can improve driver visibility without significant loss of aerodynamic downforce.
CitationJohansson, M. and Katz, J., "Lateral Aerodynamics of a Generic Sprint Car Configuration," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3312, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3312.
- Page, M. A. “Aerodynamic Design of the Eagle E997 Champ Car,” 18 th Applied Aerodynamics Conference Denver, Co Aug 14-17 2000
- Howell J. Hickman, D. “The Influence of Ground Simulation on the Aerodynamics of a Simple Car Model,” SAE 970134 , SAE Int. Congress Detroit Feb 1997
- Katz J. Dykstra L. “Effect of Passenger Car's Rear Deck Geometry on its Aerodynamic Coefficients,” ASME J. Fluids Eng. 114 2 1992 186 190
- Katz, J. Walters, R. “Effects of Large Blockage in Wind-Tunnel Testing,” J. Aircraft 32 5 1149 1153 1995
- Barlow, J B Rae, W H Pope A “Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing” 3rd John Wiley & Sons Inc. N Y 1999
- Wickern, G. Zwicker, K. Pfadenhauer, M. “Rotating Wheels - Their Impact on Wind Tunnel Test Techniques and Vehicle Drag Results,” SAE 970133 , SAE Int. Congress Detroit Feb. 1997
- Cogotti, A. “Aerodynamic Characteristics of Car Wheels,” Int. J. of Vehicle Design, Technological Advances in Vehicle Design 0Series, SP3, Impact of Aerodynamics on Vehicle Design 173 196 1983
- Bokulich F. “Getting the Aero Advantage,” Automotive Engineering International 108 11 Nov 2000 56 58
- Johansson, O., M. “Lateral Aerodynamics of a Sprint Car Configuration,” SDSU M.Sc. Thesis Report May 2002
- Katz J. “Aerodynamics of High-Lift, Low Aspect-Ratio Unswept Wings” AIAA J. 27 8 1989 1123 1124