This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Formula SAE Suspension Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper is an introduction to the design of suspension components for a Formula SAE car. Formula SAE is a student competition where college students conceive, design, fabricate, and compete with a small formula-style open wheel racing car. The suspension components covered in this paper include control arms, uprights, spindles, hubs, pullrods, and rockers. Key parameters in the design of these suspension components are safety, durability and weight. The 2001 Lawrence Technological University Formula SAE car will be used as an example throughout this paper.
|Technical Paper||Design of Formula SAE Suspension|
|Technical Paper||Effectively Approaching and Designing a Suspension with Active Damping|
|Technical Paper||Fundamental Parameter Design Issues Which Determine Race Car Performance|
CitationJawad, B. and Polega, B., "Design of Formula SAE Suspension Components," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3308, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3308.
- Smith, Carroll Tune to Win Fallbrock, CA Aero Publishers 1978
- Hibbeler, R.C. Mechanics of Materials 3rd Upper Saddle River, NJ Prentice Hall 1994
- Woods David E. Jawad Badih A. “Numerical Design of Racecar Suspension Parameters” Wahington, D.C. SAE International 1999
- 2000 LTU FSAE Team “2000 Formula SAE Final Report” Southfield, Michigan Lawrence Technological University 2000
- Puhn, Fred How to Make your Car Handle Los Angeles, CA HPBooks 1981
- Smith, Carroll Engineer to Win Osceola, WI Motorbooks International 1984
- Milliken William F. Milliken Douglas L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Warrendale, PA SAE International