This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Air Flow About an Exposed Racing Wheel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A radio telemetry system has been designed and developed at Durham University that enables surface pressure data to be transmitted from a rotating racing wheel to a host PC, where data post-processing is carried out. A multi-element wheel rim has been designed to allow the telemetry system to be located inside a pneumatic tire. Surface pressure distributions around the centerline of the wheel show good agreement with previous research.
A flow field investigation has also been conducted, downstream of the wheel, for both stationary and rotating wheel cases. The results presented highlight some of the key features of the flow field and give confidence in the telemetry system.
CitationMears, A., Dominy, R., and Sims-Williams, D., "The Air Flow About an Exposed Racing Wheel," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3290, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3290.
- Kellar, W. P. Pearse, S. R. G. Savill, A. M. Formula 1 Car Wheel Aerodynamics Sports Engineering 1999 2 203 212
- Dominy, R. G. Aerodynamics of Grand Prix Cars Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs 1992 206D 267 274
- Fackrell, J. E. Harvey, J. K. The Flow Field and Pressure Distribution of an Isolated Road Wheel Stephens, H. S. Advances in Road Vehicle Aerodynamics. BHRA Fluid Engineering 1973
- Fackrell, J. E. Harvey, J. K. The Aerodynamics of an Isolated Road Wheel Pershing, B. Proceedings of the Second AIAA Symposium of Aerodynamics of Sports and Competition Automobiles 1975
- Morelli, A. Aerodynamic Effects on an Automobile Wheel MIRA 1969
- Stapleford, W. R. Carr, G. W. Aerodynamic Characteristics of Exposed Rotating Wheels MIRA 1970
- Fackrell, J. E. The Aerodynamics of an Isolated Wheel Rotating in Contact with the Ground University of London 1974
- Bearman, P. W. De Beer, D. Hamidy, E. Harvey, J. K. The Effects of a Moving Floor on Wind-Tunnel Simulation of Road Vehicles SAE 880245 1988 1 15
- Cogotti, A. Aerodynamic Characteristics of Car Wheels Int. J. of Vehicle Design, Special Publication SP3 1983 173 196
- Mears, A. P. Dominy, R. G. Sims-Williams, D. B. The Flow About an Isolated Rotating Wheel - Effects of Yaw on Lift, Drag and Flow Structure 4 th MIRA International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference 2002