This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sports Prototype Race Car Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Performance simulations have been performed on two alternative race car configurations to establish whether the racing regulations for the Le Mans 24-hour race and other related series provide effective equivalence between the different, eligible vehicle configurations. In particular, two different types have been investigated; the prestigious LMP900 prototype class and the less powerful but lighter LMP675 class. It is shown that around the Le Mans circuit the equivalence is remarkably effective with the two types each having the potential to achieve almost identical lap times. Because of the unusual nature of the Le Mans circuit which is dominated by long, high speed straights simulations have also been performed for a more typical road circuit. The results show that the relative performance of the lighter car is enhanced resulting in a better laptime than that of the more powerful LMP900 class. Lastly, The simulation software has been adapted to provide comparative predictions of a Le Mans LMP900 car with various combinations of hybrid petrol/electric drives, all of which may be considered to be broadly equivalent in terms of the racing regulations. The results demonstrate that a parallel hybrid configuration could be used to achieve either performance or efficiency gains relative to a conventional car although those gains are relatively small.
CitationDominy, R., "Sports Prototype Race Car Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3286, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3286.
- Automobile Club De L'Ouest 2000 2001 Sporting Regulations
- Dominy, J.A. Dominy, R.G. 1984 Aerodynamic Influences on the Performance of the Grand Prix Racing Car Proc. IMechE Part D 198
- Dominy, R.G. 1990 The Influence of Slipstreaming on the performance of a Grand Prix Car Proc. IMechE Part D 204 35 40
- Dominy, R.G. Ryan, A. Sims-Williams, D.B. 2000 The Influence of Slipstreaming on Sports Prototype Race Car Performance Proc. IMechE Part D 214 887 894
- Dominy, R. 2001 Optimisation of a Sports Prototype Race Car for the Le Mans 24-hour Race Proc. 1 st IMechE Automobile Division Conference on Total Vehicle Technology University of Sussex UK 213 221
- Sieger, B. Deakin, A. Crolla, D. 2000 Lap Time Simulation: Comparison of Steady State, Quasi-Static and Transient Racing Car Cornering Strategies SAE Paper 2000-01-3563