This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Power Quality Specification Development for More Electric Airplane Architectures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 29, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
Power quality has become a subject of increased attention for electrical power systems on both commercial and military aircraft. Several power quality guidelines and specification documents exist that govern today's power system operation and the contributing characteristics of electrical load equipment. This paper presents power quality requirements for future Boeing commercial airplanes, driven by advances in aerospace applications of power electronic equipment, increased load demand and complexity, as well as new power system architectures. The influence of new equipment types on electrical system power quality is described including the effects of motor controllers, AC power converters, and large dynamic loads. The impact of power type classifications such as variable frequency AC power and multiple DC voltage levels is also discussed. Simulation results are presented to develop and validate these power quality requirements.
CitationMatheson, E. and Karimi, K., "Power Quality Specification Development for More Electric Airplane Architectures," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3206, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3206.
- Weimer Joseph A. Electrical Power Technology for the More Electric Aircraft Digital Avionics Systems Conference 445 450 1993
- Maldonado Miguel A. et al. Power Management and Distribution System for a More Electric Aircraft (MADMEL) – Program Status, Proceedings of the Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 274 279 1997
- Farzin Motamed Use of a Variable Frequency Motor Controller to Drive AC Motor Pumps on Aircraft Hydraulic Systems Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 19 24 1995
- Mildice J. W. Variable-Speed Induction Motor Drives for Aircraft Environmental Control Compressors Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 209 214 1996
- Mario Rinaldi Don Baker Rationale Behind In-Process Changes to Constant and Variable Frequency Power Quality Standards SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 971245 1997
- Gholdston E. W. Karimi K.J. Lee F.C. Rajagapalan J. Panov Y. 1996 “Stability of Large DC Power Systems Using Switching Converters with Application to the International Space Station” IECEC 1996 Conference Proceedings 166 171
- Karimi K.J. Mong A. “Modeling Non-linear Loads for Aerospace Power Systems” Presented at IECEC 2002 Washington, D.C.