This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Techniques for Advanced Aerospace Load Power Management Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 29, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
This paper presents a summary of a Honeywell collaborative IR&D project for advanced motor controls to identify Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) gating patterns and control strategies that would provide an optimum solution in terms of overall inverter efficiency, maximum inverter utilization, ease of implementation and EMI/C performance with minimum filtering requirements. In particular, critical design issues of several different PWM gating patterns are discussed in detail with respect to different types of motor loads, minimum DC bus voltage requirements, input/output (i.e., DC and AC) voltage and current harmonics, maximum inverter switching frequency, sampling/update rate, inverter power losses and overall efficiency, power component and filter design, and finally simplicity of hardware and software implementation. Simulation results are provided for the assessment and comparison of these PWM patterns.
CitationZhou, G., Kojori, H., and Wu, B., "Comparison of Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Techniques for Advanced Aerospace Load Power Management Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3183, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3183.
- Holtz J. “Pulsewidth modulation –A survey” IEEE Trans. Ind. Elec.IE-39 1992 410 420
- Hava A.M. Kerman R.J. Lipo T.A. “Carrier-Based PWM-CSI Overmodulation Strategies: Analysis, Comparison and Design” IEEE Trans. on Pow. Elec. 13 4 674 689 July 1998
- Enjeti P. N. Ziogas P. D. Lindsay J. F. “Programmed PWM techniques to eliminate harmonics: A critical evaluation,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 26 302 316 Mar./Apr. 1990
- Holmes D.G. “The Significance of Zero Space Vector Placement Carrier-Based PWM Schemes” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. IA-32 5 1996 1122 1129
- Stefanovic V.R. Vukosavic S.N. “Space – vector PWM voltage control with optimized switching strategy,” Conf. Rec. 1992 IEEE-IAS Annu. Meeting Houston, TX 1992 1025 1033