This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Solution of the Non Synchronous Vibration in the AS900 Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 05, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The AS900 is a 7,000-lbf-thrust class medium bypass turbofan for business jet and small regional transport aircraft. During initial development testing, high non-synchronous vibration (NSV) limited AS900 engine operation in the test cells. The NSV was associated with a substantial aft end motion involving both spools, the static structure, and the aft mount system. The aft mount was modified, which allowed the engine to run at its maximum power with a moderate level of NSV. However, the presence of NSV was perceived to be a customer satisfaction issue as a potential exciter of cabin noise in the aircraft. Therefore, a comprehensive analysis and test program was initiated to eliminate NSV from the AS900 engine. This paper presents the process of identifying the root cause of the NSV and its influencing factors, as well as the design changes to successfully eliminate it from the AS900 engine.
CitationAlam, M., "Solution of the Non Synchronous Vibration in the AS900 Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2928, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2928.
- Ehrich Fredric F., “Handbook of Rotordynamics”, McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Ehrich Fredric F., “Some Observation of Chaotic Vibration Phenomenon in High Speed Rotordynamics”, DE-Vol. 18-5, ASME, New York.
- Tonnesen J., and Lund J. W., “Some Experiments on Instability of Rotors Supported in Fluid-Film Bearings”, AIAA, ASME publication, 77-DET-23.
- Mormol Ronald A., “Engine Rotordynamics, Synchronous and Non-Synchronous Whirl Control”, Final report prepared for U.S Army Research and Technology Laboratories (AVRADCOM), USARTL-TR-79-2, February, 1979.
- Ehrich Fredric F., “The Role of Bearing Support Stiffness Anisotropy in Suppression of Rotordynamic Stability”, DE-Vol. 18-1, ASME, New York.
- Gunter E. J., and Trumpler P. R., “The Influence of Internal Friction on the Stability of High Speed Rotor with Anisotropic Supports.”, ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry, Nov. 1969, pp 1105-1113.