This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Macro-Aerodynamics: – A Phenomenological Model of Highly Non-linear Aerodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 05, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aerodynamics is a non-linear, dynamic, system and thus has the capacity to produce different flows for the same boundary conditions. Generally both experiments and computational studies will give only one of these flows. The research presented in this paper is directed at developing a non-linear, dynamic, system that models aerodynamics satisfactorily but allows control of various aerodynamic elements so that the nature of possible, not necessarily probable, bifurcations and other forms of non-linear behavior can be studied. It is expected that such behavior may occur in the type of extreme aerodynamic conditions that are precursors to aircraft accidents.
CitationNixon, D., "Macro-Aerodynamics: – A Phenomenological Model of Highly Non-linear Aerodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2913, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2913.
- Mendenhall, M.R. Tactical Missile Aerodynamics Prog. Aero & Astro. 141 1992
- Nixon, D. Reisenthel, P.H. A Theoretical Study of the Causes and Control of Buffet AIAA Paper 94-0312 1994
- Nixon, D. A Theory for the Mixing of a Compressible Round Jet AIAA Paper 94-2193 1994
- Nixon, D. et al The Effects of Compressibility on a Supersonic Mixing Layer AIAA-90-0706 1990
- Ashby, D.L et al Potential Flow Theory and Operation Guide for the Panel Code PMARC_12 1992
- Rizzetta, D. Yoshihara, H. Computations of the Pitching Oscillations of NACA64A010 Airfoil in the Small Disturbance Limit AIAA Paper 80-0128 1980
- Nixon, D. A Method of Estimating the Onset of Shock Induced Buffet AIAA Paper 2001-0713 2001
- Borland, C.J. XTRAN3S-Transonic Steady and Unsteady Aerodynamics for Aero-elastic Applications AFWAL-TR-85-3124 1986