This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HCCI Combustion Phasing in a Multi Cylinder Engine Using Variable Compression Ratio
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Combustion phasing in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engine can be achieved by affecting the time history of pressure and temperature in the cylinder. The most common way has been to control the inlet air temperature and thereby the temperature in the cylinder at the end of the compression stroke. However this is a slow parameter to control, especially cycle to cycle. A multi cylinder engine using Variable Compression Ratio (VCR) for controlling the compression temperature and consequently the combustion phasing is used in the experiments. Operating range in terms of speed and load is investigated in naturally aspirated mode. Trade-off between inlet air temperature and Compression Ratio (CR) is evaluated. Primary reference fuels, isooctane / n-heptane, are used during the tests. High speed HCCI operation up to 5000 rpm is possible with a fuel corresponding to RON 60. The effect of octane number with and without exhaust cam phasing is also investigated. Brake thermal efficiency of 33% at a maximum load of 4.4 bar BMEP for 2000 rpm is achieved.
CitationHaraldsson, G., Tunestål, P., Johansson, B., and Hyvönen, J., "HCCI Combustion Phasing in a Multi Cylinder Engine Using Variable Compression Ratio," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2858, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2858.
- Onishi S:, Jo S. Hong, Shoda K., Jo P Do, Kato S.: “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines”, SAE790501
- Ishibashi Y., Asai M.: “Improving the Exhaust Emissions of Two-Stroke Engines by Applying the Activated Radical Combustion”, SAE960742
- Najt P., Foster D.E.: “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion”, SAE830264
- Thring R.H.: “Homogeneous-Charge Compression-Ignition (HCCI) Engines”, SAE892068
- Stockinger M., Schäpertöns H., Kuhlmann P., Versuche an einem gemischansaugenden mit Selbszündung, MTZ 53 (1992).
- Christensen M., Einewall P., Johansson B.: “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Using Isooctane, Ethanol and Natural Gas - A Comparison to Spark Ignition Operation”, SAE972874
- Christensen M., Johansson B., Amnéus P., Mauss F.: “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition”, SAE 980787
- Christensen M., Johansson B.:“Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition”, SAE982454
- Christensen M., Johansson B.: “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with Water Injection”, SAE1999-01-0182
- Olsson J-O., Tunestål P., Johansson B., “Closed-Loop Control of an HCCI Engine”, SAE 2001-01-1031
- Drangel H., Bergsten L., “The new Saab SVC Engine - An Interaction of Variable Compression Ratio, High Pressure Supercharging and Downsizing for Considerably Reduced Fuel Consumption.” 9. Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug- und Motorentechnik 2000
- Christensen M., Hultqvist A., Johansson B., “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability for a Homogeneous Charge Compression ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio”, SAE 1999-01-3679
- Olsson J-O., Tunestål P., Johansson B., Fiveland S., Agama R., Willi M., Assanis D., “Compression Ratio Influence on Maximum Load of a Natural Gas Fueled HCCI Engine” SAE 2002-01-0111
- Ma T., Zhao H., Li J., Ladommatos N. “Experimental investigation of Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI) combustion in a 4-stroke multi-cylinder gasoline engine and drive simulations”, IFP 2001
- ZhaoH., PengZ., Williams J., LadommatosN., “Understanding the Effects of Recycled Burnt Gases on the Controlled Autoignition (CAI) Combustion in Four-Stroke Gasoline Engines”, SAE 2001-01-3607.