This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
E-diesel Effects on Engine Component Temperature and Heat Balance in a Cummins C8.3 Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Heat rejection, liner temperature, exhaust valve seat temperature, and head gasket temperature data were recorded during a full load torque sweep of a compression ignition engine when fueled by No. 2 diesel and an ethanol/diesel fuel blend containing 10% ethanol by volume. Heat balances were calculated for engine operation at various load-speed combinations.
The results of this study indicated that a greater than expected volume of E-diesel was required to operate the compression ignition engine at the same torque-speed compared to No. 2 diesel. More E-diesel fuel was required due to lower brake thermal efficiencies for E-diesel.
Other than exhaust seat temperatures, there were no appreciable differences in component temperatures measured throughout the engine or the results of the heat balances calculated for the No. 2 diesel and E-diesel fuels.
CitationMendoza, M. and Woon, P., "E-diesel Effects on Engine Component Temperature and Heat Balance in a Cummins C8.3 Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2847, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2847.
- Bechtold R.L. Alternative Fuels Guidebook SAE Warrendale, PA 6 14 53 1997
- Cole, R.L. et al. Effects of Ethanol Additives on Diesel Particulate and NO x Emmisions SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1937 2001
- Kass M.D. et al. Emissions From a 5.9 Liter Diesel Engine Fueled with Ethanol Diesel Blends SAE Paper No. 2001-01-2018 2001
- Hardenberg H.O. Schaefer A.J. The Use of Ethanol as a Fuel for Compression Ignition Engines SAE Paper No. 811211 1981
- Bechtold R.L. et al. Performance and Emissions of a DDC 8V-71 Transit Bus Engine Using Ignition-Improved Methanol and Ethanol SAE Paper No. 912356 1991
- Naegeli D.W. et al. Surface Corrosion in Ethanol Fuel Pumps SAE Paper No. 971648 1997
- Conversation with Mike Lockhart of Growmark January 25 2001
- Dorn P. Mourao A.M Herbstman S. The Properties and Performance of Modern Automotive Fuels SAE Paper No. 861178 1987