This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Gasoline Engine System Using HCCI Technology - The Concept and the Test Results
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous-charge compression-ignition (HCCI) technology has high potential to significantly reduce fuel consumption and NOx emissions over PFI engines. Control of the HCCI combustion process over the full range of conventional PFI operating conditions, however, has been a challenge. This study describes an HCCI-SI dual-mode engine system proposal based on new approaches to optimize the engine performance. A 0.658L single-cylinder engine was built and tested using these concepts. The engine was operated in HCCI mode from idle to 5.5 bar NMEP and up to 4750 rpm. NSFC in HCCI mode was about 175 g/kWh over most of the operating range except at very low load or near the high load boundary. At a part load of 1500 rpm and an equivalent BMEP of 2.62 bar, net indicated fuel efficiency was 50% higher than PFI engines and 30% higher than a prototype SC-DISI engine. Net specific NOx emissions were lower than 0.1 g/kWh below 4 bar NMEP, approximately two orders of magnitude lower than those from both SC-DISI and PFI engines. Boosting the intake pressure at loads above 4 bar NMEP leaned the mixture, significantly reducing NOx emissions and expanding the HCCI high-load operating region. Engine operation at light loads increased CO emissions sharply, but with both intake throttling and advanced combustion timing, CO emissions were reduced. Other HCCI combustion control issues and strategies were also investigated, such as the available thermal energy for intake heating at light load. Unboosted, the engine was tested in SI mode up to 7 bar NMEP with fuel efficiency higher than conventional PFI engines. Boosted with 92 RON fuel, the engine was operated up to 11.7 bar GMEP.
CitationYang, J., Culp, T., and Kenney, T., "Development of a Gasoline Engine System Using HCCI Technology - The Concept and the Test Results," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2832, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2832.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V111-4; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-4; Published: 2003-09-15
- Najt, P. and Foster, D., “Compression-ignited homogeneous charge combustion,” SAE 830264, 1983.
- Green, R., “The role of low temperature chemistry in the autoignition of n-butane,” SAE 872108, 1987.
- Thring, R. H., “Homogeneous-charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines,” SAE 892068, 1989.
- Stockinger, V., Schäpertöns, H., and Kuhlmann, P., “Versuche an einem gemischansaugenden Verbrennungsmotor mit Selbstzündung,” MTZ 53, 1992.
- Aoyama, T., Hattori, Y., Mizuta, J., and Sato, Y., “An experimental study on premixed-charge compression ignition gasoline engine,” SAE 960081, 1996.
- Lu, J. and Pouring A., “Development of a new concept piston for alcohol fuel use in a CI engine,” SAE 961078, 1996.
- Christensen M., Johansson, B., and Einewall, P., “Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) using isooctane, ethanol and natural gas - a comparison with spark ignition operation,” SAE 972874, 1997.
- Seko, T., Kuroda, E., and Hamano, Y., “Methanol lean burn auto-ignition DI engine,” SAE 980531, 1998.
- Christensen M., Johansson, B., AmnJus, P., and Mauss, F., “Supercharged homogeneous charge compression ignition,” SAE 980787, 1998.
- Furutani, M., Ohta, Y., Kono, M., and Hasegawa, M., “An ultra-lean premixed compression-ignition engine concept and its characteristics,” COMODIA 98, p. 173, 1998.
- Takatsuto, R., Igarashi, T., and Iida, N., “Auto ignition and combustion of DME and n-butane / air mixtures in homogeneous charge compression ignition engine,” COMODIA 98, p. 185, 1998.
- Christensen M. and Johansson, B., “Influence of mixture quality on homogeneous charge compression ignition,” SAE 982454, 1998.
- Christensen M. and Johansson, B., “Homogeneous charge compression ignition with water injection,” SAE 1999-01-0182, 1999.
- Christensen M., Hultqvist, A., and Johansson, B., “Demonstrating the multi fuel capability of a homogeneous charge compression ignition engine with variable compression ratio,” SAE 1999-01-3679, 1999.
- Flowers, D., et al., “HCCI in a CFR engine: experiments and detailed kinetic modeling,” SAE 2000-01-0328, 2000.
- Chen, Z., Konno, M., Oguma, M., and Yanai, T., “Experimental study of CI natural-gas/DME homogeneous charge engine,” SAE 2000-01-0329, 2000.
- Iida, N. and Igarashi, T., “Auto-ignition and combustion of n-butane and DME/air mixtures in a homogeneous charge compression ignition engine,” SAE 2000-01-1832, 2000.
- Christensen M. and Johansson, B., “Supercharged homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) with exhaust gas recirculation and pilot fuel,” SAE 2000-01-1835, 2000.
- Lavy, J., et al., “Innovative ultra-low NOx controlled auto-ignition combustion process for gasoline engines: The 4-SPACE project,” SAE 2000-01-1837, 2000.
- Olsson, J., Erlandsson, O., and Johansson, B., “Experiments and simulation of a six-cylinder homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engine,” SAE 2000-01-2867, 2000.
- Kontarakis, G., Collings, N., and Ma, T., “Demonstration of HCCI using a single cylinder four-stroke SI engine with modified valve timing,” SAE 2000-01-2870, 2000.
- Law, D., Kemp, D., Allen, J., Kirkpatrick, G., and Copland, T., “Controlled combustion in an IC-engine with a fully variable valve train,” SAE 2001-01-0251, 2001.
- Oakley, A., Zhao, H., and Ladommatos, N., “Experimental studies on controlled auto-ignition (CAI) combustion of gasoline in a 4-stroke engine,” SAE 2001-01-1030, 2001.
- Olsson, J., Tunestal, P., and Johansson, B., “Closed-loop control of an HCCI engine,” SAE 2001-01-1031, 2001.
- Morimoto, S., Kawabata, Y., Sakurai, T., and Amano, T., “Operating characteristics of a natural gas-fired homogeneous charge compression ignition engine (performance improvement using EGR),” SAE 2001-01-1034, 2001.
- Au, M., et al., “1.9-liter four-cylinder HCCI engine operation with exhaust gas recirculation,” SAE 2001-01-1894, 2001.
- Flowers, D., et al., “Operation of a four-cylinder 1.9L propane fueled homogeneous charge compression ignition engine: basic operating characteristics and cylinder-to-cylinder effects,” SAE 2001-01-1895, 2001.
- Olsson, J., Tunestal, P., Haraldsson, G., and Johansson, B., “A turbo charged dual fuel HCCI engine,” SAE 2001-01-1896, 2001.
- Stanglmaier, R., Ryan, T. III, and Souder, J., “HCCI operation of a dual-fuel natural gas engine for improved fuel economy and ultra-low NOx emissions at low to moderate engine loads,” SAE 2001-01-1897, 2001.
- Li, J., Zhao, H., Ladommatos, N., and Ma, Tom, “Research and development of controlled auto-ignition (CAI) combustion in a 4-stroke multi-cylinder gasoline engine,” SAE 2001-01-3608, 2001.
- Koopmans, L. and Denbratt, I., “A four stroke camless engine, operated in homogeneous charge compression ignition mode with commercial gasoline,” SAE 2001-01-3610, 2001.
- Iwashiro, Y., Tsurushima, T., Nishijima, Y., Asaumi, Yasuo, and Aoyagi, Y., “Fuel consumption improvement and operation range expansion in HCCI by direct water injection,” SAE 2002-01-0105, 2002.
- Sjöberg, M., Edling, L., Eliassen, T., Magnusson, L., and Angström, H., “GDI HCCI: Effects of injection timing and air swirl on fuel stratification, combustion and emissions formation,” SAE 2002-01-0106, 2002.
- Koopmans, L., Backlund, O., and Denbratt, I., “Cycle to cycle variations: Their influence on cycle resiolved gas temperature and unburned hydrocarbons from a camless gasoline compression ignition engine,” SAE 2002-01-0110, 2002.
- Olsson, J., Tunestal, P., Johansson, B., ei al., “Compression ratio influence on maximum load of a natural gas fueled HCCI engine,” SAE 2002-01-0111, 2002.
- Shudo, T. and Ono, Y., “HCCI combustion of hydrogen, carbon monoxide and dimethyl ether,” SAE 2002-01-0112, 2002.
- Yamamoto, S., Satou, T., and Ikuta, M., “Feasibility study of two-stage hybrid combustion in gasoline direct injection engines,” SAE 2002-01-0113, 2002.
- Hiraya, K., Hasegawa, K., Urushihara, T., Iiyama, A., and Itoh, T., “A study on gasoline fueled compression ignition engine ∼ A trial of operation region expansion ∼,” SAE 2002-01-0416, 2002.
- Marriott, C. and Reitz, R., “Expereimental investigation of direct injection-gasoline for premixed compression ignited combustion phasing control,” SAE 2002-01-0418, 2002.
- Law, D., Allen, J., and Chen R., “On the mechanism of controlled auto ignition,” SAE 2002-01-0421, 2002.
- Allen, J. and Law, D., “Variable valve actuated controlled auto-ignition: Speed load maps and strategic regimes of operation,” SAE 2002-01-0422, 2002.
- Christensen, M., Johansson, B., and Hultqvist, A., “The effect of combustion chamber geometry on HCCI operation,” SAE 2002-01-0425, 2002.
- Gussak, L., “High chemical activity of incomplete combustion products and a method of prechamber torch ignition for avalanche activation of combustion in internal combustion engines,” SAE 750890, 1975.
- Yang, J., “Partial oxidation device for an HCCI engine intake system” U.S. Patent No. 6345610, 2002.
- Willand, J., Nieberding, R., Vent, G., and Enderle, C., “The knocking syndrome - Its cure and its potential,” SAE 982483, 1998.
- Zhao, H., Li., J., Ma, T., and Ladommatos, N., “Performance and analysis of a 4-stroke multi-cylinder gasoline engine with CAI combustion,” SAE 2002-01-0420, 2002.
- Yanagihara, H., Sato, Y., and Kawaguchi, A. “Compression-ignition type engine and combustion method of same” U.S. Patent No. 5467757, 1995.
- Yanagihara, H., Sato, Y., “Internal combustion engine” U.S. Patent No. 6006720, 1999.
- Martinez-Frias, J., Aceves, S., Flowers, D., Smith, J., and Dibble, R., “HCCI engine control by thermal management,” SAE 2000-01-2869, 2000.
- Martinez-Frias, J., Aceves, S., Flowers, D., Smith, J., and Dibble, R., “Equivalence ratio-EGR control of HCCI engine operation and the potential for transition to spark-ignited operation,” SAE 2001-01-3613, 2001.
- Yang, J., “Air-fuel charge controller for a homogeneous-charge, compression-ignition engine” U.S. Patent No. 6295973, 2001.
- Yang, J., Munoz, R., Anderson, R. and Lavoie, G., “Study of a stratified-charge DISI engine with an air-forced fuel injection system,” SAE 2000-01-2901, 2000.
- Yang, J., “IC engine gas-wall convective heat transfer - history, problems, and solutions,” Transport Phenomena in Combustion, Editor Chan S.H., Taylor & Francis, N.Y., 1996.
- Yang, J. and Martin, J., “Predictions of the effects of high temperature walls, combustion, and knock on heat transfer in engine-type flows,” SAE 900690, 1990.
- Edson and Taylor C.F. “The limit of engine performance,” SAE Special Pub. Vol 7, 1964.
- Dec, J., “A computational study of the effects of low fuel loading and EGR on heat release rates and combustion limits in HCCI engines,” SAE 2002-01-1309, 2002.