This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Emission and Performance Comparison of the Natural Gas Cummins Westport Inc. C-Gas Plus Versus Diesel in Heavy-Duty Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 21, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cummins Westport Inc. (CWI) released for production the latest version of its C8.3G natural gas engine, the C Gas Plus, in July 2001. This engine has increased ratings for horsepower and torque, a full-authority engine controller, wide tolerance to natural gas fuel (the minimum methane number is 65), and improved diagnostics capability. The C Gas Plus also meets the California Air Resources Board optional low-NOx (2.0 g/bhp-h) emission standard for automotive and urban buses. Two pre-production C Gas Plus engines were operated in a Viking Freight fleet for 12 months as part of the U.S. Department of Energy's Fuels Utilization Program. In-use exhaust emissions, fuel economy, and fuel cost were collected and compared with similar 1997 Cummins C8.3 diesel tractors. CWI and the West Virginia University developed an ad-hoc test cycle to simulate the Viking Freight fleet duty cycle from in-service data collected with data loggers. Using the West Virginia University heavy-duty transportable chassis dynamometer and emissions laboratory, the Viking Freight C Gas Plus tractors demonstrated significant reductions in carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, and particulate matter on the Viking Freight test cycle. The natural gas tractors also had an advantage in fuel cost per mile when fueled at the on-site natural gas fueling station.
CitationKamel, M., Lyford-Pike, E., Frailey, M., Bolin, M. et al., "An Emission and Performance Comparison of the Natural Gas Cummins Westport Inc. C-Gas Plus Versus Diesel in Heavy-Duty Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2737, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2737.
- Energy Information Administration U.S. Natural Gas Sector Data http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/natural_gas/data_publications/natural_gas_monthly/current/pdf/table_03.pdf
- Frailey, M. Norton, P. Clark, N. Lyons, D. “An Evaluation of Natural Gas versus Diesel in Medium-Duty Buses” SAE International Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Baltimore, MD October
- Wang, W. Gautam, M. Sun, X. Bata, R. Clark, N. Palmer, M. Lyons, D. “Emissions Comparisons of Twenty-Six Heavy Duty Vehicles Operated on Conventional and Alternative Fuels” SAE Paper Clark 932952 1993
- Clark, N. Gautam, M. Bata, R. Lyons, D. “Design and Operation of a New Transportable Laboratory for Emissions Testing of Heavy-Duty Trucks and Buses” Int. Journal of Vehicle Design: Heavy Vehicle Systems 2 3 4 285 299 1995
- Wang, W. Bata, R. Lyons, D. Clark, N. Palmer, M. Gautam, M. Howell, A. Rapp, B. “Transient Response in a Dynamometer Power Absorption System” SAE Paper 920252 1992
- Code of Federal Regulations “Protection of Environment” U.S. Government Printing Office 1998
- Traver Michael L. Tennant Christopher J, McDaniel Thomas I McConnell Steven S, Bailey Brent K. Muldonado Hector “Interlaboratory Cross-Check of Heavy-Duty Vehicle Chassis Dynamometer” SAE Paper 2002-01-2879