This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigations of In-Plane Disc Vibration Using Laser Holography
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Laser holographic methods have been successfully used to produce animations showing the out-of-plane vibrations that take place in both the disc and pad of a real brake system generating noise (squeal). A series of holograms made at different times in the cycle of vibration were used to give the data on which the animations were based. Further it has been shown that mathematical approximations made to the fringe patterns obtained in the holograms by this method give phase and amplitude information about the wave motion involved. It establishes the existence of travelling waves on the brake disc with a speed given by the angular frequency of the noise divided by the mode order.
This approach has now been extended to examine a time-related series of holograms of the disc rim of a brake system. From the data obtained from these holograms it has been possible to develop animations that show the in-plane vibration in the disc of a brake system producing noise. Estimates of the amplitude (of magnitude comparable to that of the out-of-plane motion) and phase of such vibration can also be obtained.
CitationTalbot, C. and Fieldhouse, J., "Investigations of In-Plane Disc Vibration Using Laser Holography," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2607, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2607.
Data Sets - Support Documents
- Felske A. Hoppe G. Matthäi H. Oscillations in squealing disc brakes - analysis of vibration modes by holographic interferometry Technical Report 780333 SAE 1978
- Fieldhouse J.D. Newcomb T.P. Double Pulsed Holography Used to Investigate Noisy Brakes Optics and Lasers in Engineering 6 25 1996 455 494
- Talbot C.J. Fieldhouse J.D. Animations of a Disc Brake Generating Noise Proceedings of the SAE 2001 Brake Colloquium New Orleans 23 29 SAE Paper Number 2001-01-3126
- Automotive Disc Brake Squeal: A Review Kinkaid N.M. O'Reilly O. M. Papadopoulos P. Journal of Sound and Vibration 2002
- Yi-Yuan Y. Vibrations of Elastic Plates Springer 1996
- Kreis T. Holographic Interferometry Akademie Verlag 1996
- Pilipchuk V.N. Ibrahim R.A. Blaschke P.G. Disc Brake Ring-Element Modelling Involving Friction Induced Vibration IMAC 20 1 2002 535 541