This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ISS Total Organic Carbon Analyzer - 2002 Status
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 15, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Potable water supplies onboard the International Space Station (ISS) include both reclaimed water from treatment of atmospheric humidity condensate and stored water that is either Shuttle-transferred or ground-supplied. Space station medical operations requirements call for real-time monitoring of key water quality parameters, such as total organic carbon, total inorganic carbon, total carbon, pH, and conductivity, to ensure that crew health is protected from unsafe drinking water. A Total Organic Carbon Analyzer (TOCA) designed to meet these requirements was developed as part of the Crew Health Care System and launched to the ISS in April of 2001. The initial design of the ISS TOCA was previously presented at this conference in 1998. The current design of the instrument includes an improved reagent system and upgraded software to enhance accuracy through the capability to measure organic contamination of the reagents and correct analytical results. This paper describes these and other design changes made since the previous paper and also reports on the results to-date of in-flight operations of the ISS TOCA.
- Ronald J. Davenport - Ionics - Instrument Business Group
- Kurt Thoresen - Ionics - Instrument Business Group
- John E. Straub - Wyle Laboratories - Life Sciences, Systems and Services
- John R. Schultz - Wyle Laboratories - Life Sciences, Systems and Services
- Kevin R. MacNeill - Wyle Laboratories - Life Sciences, Systems and Services
- George W. Jackson - Wyle Laboratories - Life Sciences, Systems and Services
CitationStraub, J., Schultz, J., MacNeill, K., Jackson, G. et al., "ISS Total Organic Carbon Analyzer - 2002 Status," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2533, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2533.
- Straub, J. E. Shimamoto, S. M. Schultz, J. R. Davenport, R. J. Sauer, R. L. Risk Mitigation Water Quality Monitor, SAE Paper 972463 27th International Conference on Environmental Systems Lake Tahoe, NV July 14-17 1997
- Davenport, R. J. Thoresen, K. Straub, J. E. Sauer, R. L. Total Organic Carbon Analyzer for ISS, SAE Paper 981765 28th International Conference on Environmental Systems Danvers, MA July 13-16 1998