This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Results Obtained with a Pilot Scale System to Remove Pollutants from an Incinerator Effluent
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 15, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Incineration is a promising method for converting biomass and human waste into CO2 and H2O during extended planetary exploration. Unfortunately, it produces NOX and other pollutants. TDA Research has developed a safe and effective process to remove NOX from waste incinerator product gas streams. In our process, NO is catalytically oxidized to NO2, which is then removed with a wet scrubber. In a SBIR Phase II project, TDA designed and constructed a pilot scale system, which will be used with the incinerator at NASA Ames Research Center. In this paper, we present test results obtained with our system, which clearly demonstrate the effectiveness of this approach to NOX control.
CitationWickham, D., Bahr, J., Dubovik, M., Gebhard, S. et al., "Experimental Results Obtained with a Pilot Scale System to Remove Pollutants from an Incinerator Effluent," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2395, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2395.
- Fisher, J.W. Pisharody S. Wignarajah K. Lighty J.S. Burton B. Edeen M. Davis K.A. 1998 Waste Incineration for Resource Recovery in Bioregenerative Life Support Systems SAE 981758
- Fisher, J.W. Pisharody S. Moran M. Wignarajah K. Shi Y. Chang S. 2000 Reactive Carbon from Life Support Wastes for Incinerator Flue Gas Cleanup 30 th International Conference on Environmental Systems Tolouse France
- Fisher, J.W. Pisharody S. Moran M. Tleimat M. 2001 Incineration of Inedible Biomass in a Regenerative Life Support System - Update of Development Activity at ARC. 31 th International Conference on Environmental Systems Orlando, Florida
- Wickham, D.T Bahr J. Dubovik R Gebhard S. Lind J. 2000 “System for Removal of the NO X and SO 2 from Incinerator Effluents” SAE Paper # 2000-01-2284 International Conference on Environmental Systems Toulouse France
- Wickham, D.T. Bahr J. Dubovik R Gebhard S. Libberton K. Lind J. 2001 “Design and Construction of a Pilot Scale System for Removal of Pollutants from an Incinerator Effluent SAE Paper # 2001-01-2249 International Conference on Environmental Systems Orlando, Florida