This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of Gas-Air Composition on Combustion Parameters of Dual Fuel Engines Fed CNG
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
The paper presents the results of investigation of gas-air mixture composition impact on combustion parameters of dual fuel engine operated on CNG (Compressed Natural Gas). The tests were carried out on a single cylinder compression ignition direct injection engine. Combustion parameters calculated on base of recorded indicator diagrams were analysed. The tests have demonstrated capability of dual fuel engine to combustion gas mixtures in wide range of the composition, λCNG=1.8-8.0, with satisfactory efficiency. Reduce of thermal efficiency on partial loads did not exceed 6%. Combustion in dual fuel engine occurs with heat release rate reduced with 40-75% in comparison to conventional engine, what results in reduction of NOx concentration of about 30-35%. Prolongation of ignition delay with 4-6 deg.CA has been observed during the tests, what should be corrected by active change of injection advance angle of pilot dose.
CitationStelmasiak, Z., "The Impact of Gas-Air Composition on Combustion Parameters of Dual Fuel Engines Fed CNG," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2235, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2235.
- Henham, A. and Makkar, K.: “Combustion of Simulated Biogas in a Dual-Fuel Diesel Engine”. Energy Convers. Mgmt. Vol. 39, No. 16-18, pp. 2001-2009, 1998.
- Abd-Alla, G.H., Soliman, H.A., Badr, O.A. and Abd-Rabbo, M.F.: “Effect of pilot fuel quantity on the performance of a dual fuel engine”. Energy Conversion and Management No. 41 (2000) 559-572, 2000.
- Abd-Alla, G.H., Soliman, H.A., Badr, O.A. and Abd-Rabbo, M.F.: “Effects of diluent admissions and intake air temperature in exhaust gas recirculation on the emissions of an indirect injection dual fuel engine”. Energy Conversion and Management No. 42 (2001) 1033-1045, 2001.
- Selim, M.Y.E.: “Pressure-time characteristics in diesel engine fueled with natural gas”. Renewable Energy No. 22 (2001) 473-489, 2001.
- Kusaka, J., Okamoto, T., Daisho, Y., Kihara, R. and Saito, T.: “Combustion and exhaust gas emission characteristics of a diesel engine dual-fueled with natural gas”. JSAE Review No. 21 (2000) 489-496, 2000.
- Zhang, Y., Liu,X., Yang, Q., Han, X. and Cheng, Ch.: “The Studies of an Electronically Controlled CNG System for Dual Fuel Engines”. SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0145, 2001.
- Gebert, K., Beck, N.J., Barkhimer, R.L., and Wong, H.Ch.: “Strategies to Improve Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Dual-Fuel Pilot Ignited Natural Gas engines”. SAE Paper No. 971712, 1997.
- Beroun, S. and Martins, J.: “The Development of Gas (CNG, LPG and H2) Engines for Buses and Trucks and their Emission and Cycle Variability Characteristics”. SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0144, 2001.
- Liu, Z. and Karim, G.A.,: “The Ignition Delay Period in Dual Fuel Engines”. SAE Paper No. 950466, 1995.
- Badr, O., Karim, G.A. and Liu, B.: “An examination of the flame spread limits in a dual fuel engine”. Applied Thermal Engineerring No. 19(1999) 1071-1080, 1999.
- Aesoy, V. and Valland H.: “Hot Surface Assisted Compression Ignition of natural Gas in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine”. SAE Paper No. 960767, 1996.
- Chen, Z., Konno, M. and Goto, S.: “Study on homogenous premixed charge CI engine fueled with LPG”. JSAE Review No. 22(2001) 265-270, 2001.
- Hountalas, D.T. and Papagiannakis, R.G.: “A Simulation Model for the Combustion Process of Natural Gas Engines with Pilot Diesel Fuel as an Ignition Source”. SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1245, 2001.
- Agarwal, A. and Assanis, N.: “Modeling the Effect of Natural Gas Composition on Ignition Delay Under Compression Ignitionn Conditions”. SAE Paper No. 971711, 1997.
- Zhang, F.R., Okamoto, K., Morimoto, S. and Shoji, F.: “Methods of Increasing the BMEP (Power Output) for Natural Gas Spark Ignition Engines”. SAE Paper No. 981385, 1998.
- JANAF Thermochemical Tables. Ed.3, American Institute of Physics 1986. National Bureau of Standards. Publication.
- Raznjevic K.Thermodynamische Tabellen. VDI Verlag GmbH Duesseldorf 1977.
- Heywood, J.B.: “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”. McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York, 1988.
- Zhao, H. and Ladommatos, N.: “Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostic”. SAE ISBN0-7680-0665-1, 2001.
- Pflaum, W. and Mollenhauer, K.: “Waermeuebergang in der Verbrennungskraftmaschine” (Heat-Transmission in Internal Combustion Engines) Springer-Verlag New York- Wien, 1977.
- Wisniewski, S.: “Obciazenia cieplne silnikow tlokowych” (Thermal Loading of Internal Combustion Engines). WKL, Warsaw 1972.
- Wanscheidt B.A.: Disieli sprawocznik. Maszinostrojenije, Leningrad 1977.