This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of Discomfort Due to Motorscooter Hand-Transmitted Vibration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
Hand-transmitted vibration may be a cause of discomfort for two-wheeled vehicles. While there are international standards for the assessment of comfort in whole-body vibration exposure, there are not equivalent guidelines for hand transmitted vibrations. The present study analyzes accelerometer data acquired in road testing with various approaches in order to compare different criteria that could be adopted for comfort assessment in two wheeled vehicles. The ISO standard 5349-1986(E), which is specific for health risks, uses the maximum acceleration of the surface in contact with the hand, suitably weighted. But many researchers suggest particular weight functions and also energetic approaches (transmitted and/or absorbed energy). The effects of the grip force and of the speed of the vehicle have also been considered.
- F. Di Puccio - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica, Nucleare e della Produzione, Università di Pisa
- P. Forte - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica, Nucleare e della Produzione, Università di Pisa
- A. Pratesi - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica, Nucleare e della Produzione, Università di Pisa
- R. Hippoliti - Piaggio & C. S.p.A.
CitationDi Puccio, F., Forte, P., Pratesi, A., and Hippoliti, R., "Assessment of Discomfort Due to Motorscooter Hand-Transmitted Vibration," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2176, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2176.
SAE 2002 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V111-6; Published: 2003-09-15
Number: V111-6; Published: 2003-09-15
- International Standard Mechanical vibration and shock - Evaluation of human exposure to whole-body vibration, part 1: General requirements 1997
- Amorosa M. Frendo F. Hippoliti R. Vitale E. 2001 1113 1123
- Griffin M.J. Handbook of human vibration Academic Press Ltd 1990
- International Standard Mechanical vibration - Guidelines for the measurement and the assessment of human exposure to hand-transmitted vibration
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Criteria for a recommended standard. Occupational exposure to hand-arm vibration DHHS/NIOSH, Pub.86-106 1989
- British Standard Measurement and evaluation of human exposure to vibration transmitted to the hand 1987
- Cundiff J.S Energy dissipation in human hand-arm exposed to random vibration J. Acoust. Soc. AM. 59 1 212 214 1976
- Lidström I.-M. Vibration injury in rock drillers, chisellers and grinders. Some views on the relationship between the quantity of energy absorbed and the risk occurrence of vibration injury Proceedings of International Occupational Hand-Arm Vibration Conference NIOSH Cincinnati 1977 DHEW (NIOSH) Publication 77-170 77 83
- Burström L. Lundström R. Absorption of vibration energy in the human hand and arm Ergonomics 1994 37 5 879 890
- Burström L. Lundström R. Hagberg M. Nilsson T. Comparison of different measures for hand-arm vibration exposure Safety Sciencxe 28 1 1 14 1998
- Reynolds D.D. Keith R.H. Hand-arm vibration, part I: analytical model of the vibration response characteristics of the hand Journal of Sound and Vibration 1977 51 2 237 253
- Reynolds D.D. Angevine E.N. Hand-arm vibration, part II: vibration transmission characteristics of the hand and arm Journal of Sound and Vibration 1977 51 2 255 265
- Reynolds D.D. Standlee K.G. Angevine E.N. Hand-arm vibration, part III: subjective response characteristics of individuals to hand-induced vibration Journal of Sound and Vibration 1977 51 2 267 282
- Cucuz Stojan Evaluation of ride comfort Int.Journ.Vehicle Design 15 3 4 5 1994 318 325
- Gurram R. Rakheja S. Brammer A.J. Driving -point mechanical impedance of the human hand-arm system: synthesis and model development Journal of Sound and Vibration 1995 180 3 437 458
- Mishoe J.W. Suggs, C.W. Hand-arm vibration Part II: vibrational responses of the human hand Journal of Sound and Vibration 1977 53 4 545 558
- Demic M. Some aspects of investigations into the effects of quasi-random simultaneous translatory vibrations on human fatigue from the physiological standpoint Int. J. of Vehicle Design II 2 1990 201 207