This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Cost Drawing Tools
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
The reduction in the cost of drawing tools is of major importance in the production of small and medium series of shaped steel components. Usinor has therefore engaged studies of potential alternative materials for the manufacture of these tools. The solutions envisaged involve the elimination of metal machining operations, which currently represent more than 50 % of fabrication costs. However, because of the constraints associated with stamping, particularly as regards the mechanical strength and wear resistance of the tool surfaces, the studies have revealed of the need to conserve a metallic material at the tool surface. A new tool fabrication technique is therefore proposed, consisting of first electroforming a metallic skin and then casting the remainder using a hydraulic concrete. The stamping behaviour and endurance of this type of tool are comparable to those obtained with cast iron tools, while the solution proposed enables the fabrication costs and lead times for large tools to be reduced by at least 20 %.
CitationMartin, M., "Low Cost Drawing Tools," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2064, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2064.
- CHEN, A.C. Economic aspects of materials substitution in horizontal automotive body panels: the issue of SMC surface finish M.I.T. Cambridge (U.S.A.) 1991
- BURLAT, M. Analyse mécanique et tribologique de l'emboutissage: application aux outils fabriqués par combinaison de différents matériaux INSA Lyon (Fr.) 1998
- GIANTCODE TOOLS Feasibility study of sheet metal forming tool Giantcode Tools Klokkerholm (Denmark) 2000
- BURLAT M. BRUNET M. BERTHIER Y. Steel sheet friction characterization from hemispherical punch stretching Numisheet'99 Besançon (Fr.) 1999 221 226
- SCHWARTZENTRUBER, A. Conception d'outils d'emboutissage en béton pour la mise en forme de tôles