This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Evaluation of Toyota Prius Battery Pack
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 03, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Future Car Congress
As part of a U.S. Department of Energy supported study, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory has benchmarked a Toyota Prius hybrid electric vehicle from three aspects: system analysis, auxiliary loads, and battery pack thermal performance. This paper focuses on the testing of the battery back out of the vehicle. More recent in-vehicle dynamometer tests have confirmed these out-of-vehicle tests. Our purpose was to understand how the batteries were packaged and performed from a thermal perspective. The Prius NiMH battery pack was tested at various temperatures (0°C, 25°C, and 40°C) and under driving cycles (HWFET, FTP, and US06). The airflow through the pack was also analyzed. Overall, we found that the U.S. Prius battery pack thermal management system incorporates interesting features and performs well under tested conditions.
CitationZolot, M., Pesaran, A., and Mihalic, M., "Thermal Evaluation of Toyota Prius Battery Pack," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1962, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1962.
- Kelly, K. Zolot, M. Mihalic, M. “Battery Usage and Thermal Performance of the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight for Various Chassis Dynamometer Test Procedures,” Proceeding of the 17 th Annual Battery Conference on Applications and Advances Long Beach, CA January 2002
- Zolot, M. Keyser, M. Mihalic, M. Pesaran, A. A. “Thermal Evaluation of a Toyota Prius HEV Battery Pack - Out of Vehicle Testing,” National Renewable Energy Laboratory Report Golden, CO May 2001
- PNGV Battery Test Manual Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory Idaho Falls, ID February 2001
- Panasonic EV Energy Co., Ltd. Yamaguchi, S. Taniguchi, A. Fujioka, N. Kanamaru, K. Ikoma, M. “Development of Prismatic Nickel / Metal-Hydride Battery for HEV,” Advanced Automotive Battery Conference Las Vegas, NV February 2001
- Pesaran, A.A. Vlahinos, A. Burch, S.D. “Thermal Performance of EV and HEV Battery Modules and Packs,” Proceedings of the 14 th International Electric Vehicle Symposium Orlando, FL December 15-17 1997