This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 03, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Future Car Congress
Today's advanced-technology vehicles (ATVs) feature hybrid-electric engines, regenerative braking, advanced electric drive motors and batteries, and eventually fuel cell engines. There is considerable environmental and regulatory pressure on fleets to adopt these vehicles, resulting in high-risk purchase decisions on vehicles that do not have documented performance histories. The Department of Energy's Field Operations Program tests ATVs and disseminates the results to provide accurate and unbiased information on vehicle performance (http://ev.inel.gov/fop). Enhancing the fleet manager's knowledge base increases the likelihood that ATVs will be successfully and optimally placed into fleet missions.
The ATVs are tested using one or more methods - Baseline Performance, Accelerated Reliability, and Fleet Testing. The Program and its 10 testing partners have tested over three-dozen electric and hybrid electric vehicle models, accumulating over 4 million miles of testing experience. The Program has initiated the additional testing of neighborhood, urban, and hybrid electric vehicles and hydrogen-powered vehicles.
CitationFrancfort, J. and Slezak, L., "Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1916, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1916.
- 1999 EV America Technical Specifications October 1999 Electric Transportation Applications
- Implementation of SAE J1634 May 93 - “Electric Vehicle Energy Consumption and Range Test Procedure” March 1997
- Argueta, Juan C. et al. August 1999 Electric Vehicle Test Procedure Southern California Edison 22 25
- Accelerated Reliability Testing Procedures October 15 1997 Electric Vehicle Field Operations Program Southern California Edison
- Francfort, J.E. Carrol M. L. July 2001 Neighborhood Electric Vehicle Fleet Use Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory
- Urban Electric Vehicle (NEV) Technical Specifications March 2001 Electric Transportation Applications
- EV America: Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) Technical Specifications June 2001 Electric Transportation Applications
- Wehrey, M. et al. December 2001 Demonstration and Evaluation of U.S. Postal Service Electric Carrier Route Vehicles Southern California Edison
- Wehrey, M. et al. December 2001 Demonstration and Evaluation of U.S. Postal Service Electric Carrier Route Vehicles Southern California Edison 6 7 9
- Francfort, J. January 2002 U.S. Postal Service - Fountain Valley Electric Carrier Route Vehicle Testing Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory
- EV America: Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) Technical Specifications July 2001 Electric Transportation Applications http://ev.inel.gov/fop/nev/procedure.html