This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Additive Chemistry on Manual Transmission Synchronizer Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The lubricant is a key component in the successful operation of a manual transmission, but it is important that the interactive effects with the friction material are understood. This paper examines the effect of several key additive components on the friction and wear performance of a single sinter composition in a carefully controlled laboratory test. In addition, the test method allows one to develop information about the shift behavior of the fluid-synchronizer material combination which provides useful information about shift quality. From the original experimental design program a predictive model was developed and an optimized formulation was tested as a validation of the results.
CitationO'Connor, B., Van Mullekom, J., Gahagan, M., Rank, R. et al., "Influence of Additive Chemistry on Manual Transmission Synchronizer Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1697, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1697.
- O'Connor, B. M. Bell, A. F. “Evaluation of Lubricant Performance for Synchromesh Transmission Applications” Paper TL 1 presented at the CEC Second International Symposium on The Performance Evaluation of Automotive Fuels and Lubricants Wolfsburg, W. Germany June 1985
- Winter, H. O'Connor, B. M. Ross, A. R. Graham, R. “Enhanced Manual Transmission Performance Through Additive Technology” Technical Academy of Esslingen 5th International Colloquium - Additives for Lubricants and Operational Fluids Ostfildern, W. Germany January 1986
- Hoerbiger Brochure on Mu Comp test rig, “Der μ-comp Universalprüfstand von Hoerbiger” Hoerbiger Antriebstechnik GmbH Bernbeurener Strasse 13a, D-86956 Schongau
- Rank, R. “Enwicklung von Kfz-Reibsystemen” Technical Academy Esslingen 12 th International Colloquium - Tribology 2000 Plus Ostfildern, Germany January 2000
- Statistical software package Statgraphics Plus Version 5.0, Professional Edition 1994 - 2000 Statistical Graphics Corp.