This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Reduction of Soot Emissions by the Use of a Piston with Micro-Chambers on a Medium Duty Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance and emissions of a medium duty, turbocharged and aftercooled diesel engine fitted with both standard pistons and experimental pistons have been compared. The experimental pistons incorporated micro-chambers equi-spaced around the periphery of the bowl, connected to the bowl by drilled passages.
The tests were run using an “A-B-A” design at three engine speeds over the load range. The paper will report that the experimental pistons have a potential for significant soot reduction without an increase in NOx emissions and with similar fuel consumption.
Based on an analysis of the jet flow into and out of the micro-chambers, a possible mechanism for the soot reduction is proposed. The mechanism has been investigated further using VECTIS computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis.
CitationRogers, B., Li, G., and Such, C., "The Reduction of Soot Emissions by the Use of a Piston with Micro-Chambers on a Medium Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1682, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1682.
- Pouring A.A. di Priolo C.L. 1999 ‘Combustion Chamber for DI Reciprocating Engines’
- Ricardo Software 2001 ‘VECTIS Computational Fluid Dynamics Release 3.5 User's Guide’ Ricardo DP
- Patterson M.A. Reitz R.D. 1998 ‘Model the Effects of Fuel Spray Characteristics on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emission,’ SAE paper 980131
- Chen C. Bardsley M.E.A Johns R.J.R. 2000 ‘Two-Zone Flamelet Combustion Model,’ SAE paper 2000-01-2810
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 1989 McGraw-Hill
- Khan, I. M. Greeves, G. Probert, D. M. 1971 ‘Prediction of Soot and Nitric Oxide Concentrations in Diesel Engine Exhaust,’ Instn Mech. Engrs C142/71 205
- Nagle, J. Strickland-Constable, R. F. 1962 ‘Oxidation of Carbon between 1000-2000 C,’ Proc. Of 5th Carbon Conf. 1 154 Pergamon
- Dec John E Kelly-Zion Peter L 2000 ‘The Effects Of Injection Timing And Diluent Addition On Late-Combustion Soot Burnout In A DI Diesel Engine Based On Simultaneous 2-D Imaging Of OH And Soot’ SAE Paper 2000-01-0238
- Kurtz E M Foster D E 1998 ‘Exploring The Limits Of Improving DI Diesel Emissions By Increasing In-Cylinder Mixing’ SAE Paper 982677
- Kurtz E M Mather D K Foster D E 2000 ‘Parameters That Affect The Impact Of Auxiliary Gas Injection In A DI Diesel Engine’ SAE Paper 2000-01-0233