This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the STI Tire Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 07, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The STI (System Technology Inc.) tire model is one of the most important semi-empirical (steady-state) tire models currently applied in the vehicle dynamics simulation software package of the National Advanced Driving Simulator (NADS). The STI tire model is presented originally based on tire contact length directly and the contact length is required to provide. Based on the concepts of nominal slip in both longitudinal and lateral directions, the STI tire model is analyzed and rewritten. It shows that the STI tire model does not actually depend on the contact length. Meanwhile, the model parameters are partially assigned new physical definitions, for example, static/dynamic stiffness and shape factors. Some simplified expressions are given based on further assumption conditions. The simplified expressions are also obtained regarding longitudinal slip at arbitrary speeds (including low speed, zero speed and stand still), which is originally presented by Bernard.
CitationLiu, Q., Solis, D., and Pan, W., "Analysis of the STI Tire Model," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1579, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1579.
- Allen, R. W. Rosenthal, T. J. Chrstos, J. P. “A Vehicle Dynamics Tire Model for Both Pavement and Off-Road Conditions” SAE Paper 970559 1997
- Salaani, M. K. Heydinger, G. J. “Powertrain and Brake Modeling of the 1994 Ford Taurus for the National Advanced Driving Simulator” SAE Paper 981190 1998
- Salaani, M. K. Guenther, D. A. Heydinger, G. J. “Vehicle Dynamics Modeling for the National Advanced Driving Simulator of a 1997 Jeep Cherokee” SAE Paper 1999-01-0121 1999
- Bernard J. E. Clover C. L. “Tire Modeling for Low-Speed and High-Speed Calculations” SAE Paper 950311 1995
- Clover C. L. Bernard J. E. “Longitudinal Tire Dynamics” Vehicle System Dynamics 29 231 259 1998
- Guo, K. “A Unified Tire Model for Braking, Driving and Steering Simulation” The 5th International Pacific Conference on Automotive Engineering, IPC-891198 1989
- Guo, K. Sui, J. “A Theoretical Observation on Empirical Expression of Tire Shear Forces” Proceedings of the 9th IAVSD Symposium on Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks University of Michigan Press 1995
- Fiala, E. “Seitenkräfte am Rollenden Luftreifen” Zeitcrift der VDI 96 29 1954
- Guo, K. “A Unified Semi-Empirical Tire Model with Higher Accuracy and Less Parameters” SAE Paper 1999-01-0785 1999