This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biomechanics of Inertial Head-Neck Trauma: Role of Cervical Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 19, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Inertial loading of the head-neck complex occurs in rear impacts wherein the head and neck of the occupant are initially subjected to rearward forces. Epidemiological evidence exists to demonstrate the significance and societal impact of these injuries . From a clinical perspective, trauma secondary to inertial loads belongs to the lower end of the Abbreviated Injury Scale, and no specific diagnostic techniques are available to quantitatively document the injury. Furthermore, identification of the mechanisms of injury and derivation of injury thresholds are limited. In fact, there is a paucity of literature focusing on the reproduction of rear impact-induced neck injuries due to a single-event rear impact. Because the impact acceleration is transmitted to the head from the torso via the cervical column, the components of the human neck play a role in the mechanics of trauma. This paper presents the role of cervical spinal components in the injury and describes their associated mechanisms.
CitationYoganandan, N. and Pintar, F., "Biomechanics of Inertial Head-Neck Trauma: Role of Cervical Components," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1445, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1445.
- Bogduk N Yoganandan N Biomechanics of minor injuries to the cervical spine Clinical Biomechanics 16 4 267 275 2001
- Cusick JF Pintar FA et al Whiplash syndrome: Kinematic factors influencing pain patterns Spine 26 11 1252 1258 2001
- Yoganandan N Pintar FA et al Frontiers in Head and Neck Trauma: Clinical and Biomechanical The Netherlands IOS Press 1998
- Yoganandan N Pintar FA et al Whiplash injury biomechanical experimentation Spine 24 1 83 85 1999
- Yoganandan N Pintar FA Frontiers in Whiplash Trauma: Clinical and Biomechanical The Netherlands IOS Press 2000
- Yoganandan N Pintar FA et al Biomechanics of human occupants in simulated rear crashes: Documentation of neck injuries and comparison of injury criteria Stapp Car Crash Journal 44 189 204 2000
- Yoganandan N Pintar FA et al Whiplash injury determination with conventional spine imaging and cryomicrotomy Spine 26 2443 2448 2001