This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Frequency IMEP Estimation and Filtering for Torque Based SI Engine Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Torque based engine control seems to be the trend for the future for powertrain management (automatic gearbox, hybrid vehicles).
Today, torque estimation is best achieved using cylinder pressure transducers. This paper proposes a method to achieve a good accuracy of the torque using Bézier curves to reconstruct the cylinder pressure peak from the low frequency embedded pressure measurements.
As is, IMEP cannot be used on a cycle to cycle basis for engine torque control, due to the very high cycle to cycle variability of SI engines. To improve the quality of the IMEP feedback data, this paper proposes a moving horizon filtering method.
CitationJaine, T., Charlet, A., Higelin, P., and Chamaillard, Y., "High Frequency IMEP Estimation and Filtering for Torque Based SI Engine Control," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1276, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1276.
- EriKsson L. “Spark advance modeling and control” 1999
- Kawamura Y. Shinshi M. Sato H. Takahashi N. Iriyama M. “MBT Control through Individual Cylinder Pressure Detection” SAE paper 881779
- Pestana G. W. “Engine control methods using combustion pressure feedback” SAE paper 890758
- Chaumerliac V. 1995
- Bidan P. 1989
- Thomson S. Duan S.Y. “Modeling, parameter selection and simulation of a single-cylinder four-cycle engine” ImechE 1991
- Labreuche G. Da Costa A. Chamaillard Y. Charlet A. Higelin P. Perrier C. “Total Friction Effective Pressure and Torque Estimator” MECA'01 2001
- Powell J.D. “Engine Control Using Cylinder Pressure: Past, Present and Future” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Transaction of the ASME 115 343 350 June 1993
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 1988
- Arsie I. Flora R. Serra G. Pianese C. Rizzo G. “Development and Validation of a Model for Mechanical Efficiency in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE paper 1999-01-0561
- Bartels R. H. Beaty J. C. Barsky B. A. 6 7 “B-Splines” Hemès Paris 2-86601-122-8