This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Tire/Road Noise in Tire Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper studied the measurement and evaluation methods of the tire/road noise. The objective and subjective noises of the curved tire tread pattern were measured with a dram type tire test machine with lower noise. The approach to design lower noise tire and the evaluation criterion for tire noise were obtained.
Tire noise, tire modal parameters, deformation of tire case, deformation of tread patterns and contact patterns are measured under the radial, tangential and side forces. The parameters investigated included groove depth, groove density, angle of the groove relative to the sidewall, groove shape, spacing between grooves, close groove and open groove. Toe-in angle and speed of tires were also studied. And the noise mechanisms of tire tread patterns were analyzed as well.
The relationship between the tire noise and the mode was studied as well as that one between the tire deflection and the noise. The deflections of tires are applied to tire design and tire (or vehicle) noise simulations. And the results are satisfying. For example, the Shanghai Tire and Rubber Co. supply lower noise tires to SGM and Shanghai Volkswagen Automotive Co. Due to this application the development cycle of new products is shortened.
CitationGe, J., Wang, Z., Long, Y., Wang, W. et al., "Application of Tire/Road Noise in Tire Design," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1237, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1237.
- Jianmin Ge Mechanism and Experimental Study on the Vibration and Noise of Tire Shanghai Institute of Acoustics, Tongji University 3 10 2001
- Donavan Paul R. “Tire-Pavement Interaction Noise Measurement under Vehicle Operating Conditions of Cruise and Acceleration.” SAE paper 931276 1993 Society of Automotive Engineers,inc.
- Thompson James K. “The Development of a New SAE Truck Tire-Pavement Interaction Noise Measurement Procedure.” SAE paper 931277 1993 Society of Automotive Engineers,inc.
- van Blokland Gijs-Jan von Meler Alex “Reducing Tire/Road Noise with Porous Road Surfaces and the Effect of Tire Choice.” SAE paper 931279 1993 Society of Automotive Engineers,inc.
- Oswald Lawrence J. Arambages Artemis “The Noise of Cross Groove Tire Tread Pattern Elements.” SAE paper 850988 1985 Society of Automotive Engineers,inc.
- Lianzhu Zheng Jianmin Ge “Mechanism and Simulation of Self-excited Vibration in a Vehicle Transmission.” SAE paper 2000-01-0836 2000 Society of Automotive Engineers,inc.