This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Collaborative Driving Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development of a dual-location driving simulator by researchers at the Virtual Reality Applications Center (VRAC) at Iowa State University. The simulator connects drivers in two highly immersive virtual reality interfaces, the C4 and the C6, both located at VRAC. The vehicle dynamics is computed separately for each vehicle by independent Windows NT systems running VDANL. These systems also perform real-time data acquisition from the vehicle bucks and terrain queries at each dynamics time-step. The vehicles exchange dynamics information including vehicle position and orientation, and their derivatives. VRAC researchers will use the driving simulator for experiments involving collaborative or competitive maneuvering. Applications include the maneuvering of farm vehicles, battlefield simulation and racing.
|Technical Paper||Multimodal Maintenance Application HCI|
|Technical Paper||Multimodal HCI Integration|
|Technical Paper||Collaborative Product Creation Driving the MOST Cooperation|
- Adrian Sannier - Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Iowa State University
- Ole Balling - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University
- Mark Knight - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University
- Bryan Walter - Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University
CitationBalling, O., Knight, M., Walter, B., and Sannier, A., "Collaborative Driving Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1222, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1222.
- Gruening, J. Bernard, J. Clover, C. Hoffmeister, K. “Driving Simulation” SAE Paper 980223 1998
- Chrstos, J.P. Heydinger, G.J. “Evaluation of VDANL and VDM Road for Predicting the Vehicle Dynamics of a 1994 Ford Taurus” SAE Paper 970566 1997
- Bernard, J.E. Clover, C.L. “Tire Modeling for Low-Speed and High-Speed Calculations” SAE Paper 950311 1995
- Clover, C.L. Bernard, J.E. “Longitudinal Tire Dynamics” Vehicle System Dynamics 29 4 April 1998
- Hearn, D. Baker, M.P. “Computer Graphics C Version” Upper Saddle River, NJ Prentice Hall 1997
- “VDANL_DLL Programmer's Guide” Systems Technology Inc.
- de Berg, Mark et al. “Computational Geometry: Algorithms and Applications” Berlin Springer 2000
- Cruz-Neira, C. “Virtual Reality Based on Multiple Projection Screens: The Cave and Its Applications to Computational Science and Engineering” University of Illinois Chicago 1995