This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of Fuzzy Logic in Wheel Slip Assignment - Part I: Yaw Rate Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 4, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the use of logic-based control for the purpose of determining and assigning desired wheel slips for each corner of a vehicle. The control objective is to track overall desired vehicle dynamics, such as tracking a desired vehicle yaw rate, Ωd, by assigning an appropriate wheel slip, λ, to each corner of the vehicle. Each of these wheel slips is used as reference input wheel slip, λr, for a wheel dynamics control system. This setup can be thought of behaving like a hierarchical control system (higher-level control system interacting with a lower level control system). This paper focuses on developing the higher-level logic based controller. The logic controller uses fuzzy logic control techniques. In conventional fuzzy logic control, a two-dimensional rule table is created based on the error between the desired and actual signals, and on the change in the error. The fuzzy logic controller presented in this paper is based on the work performed by Choi, et.al. . This method combines the two controller inputs into a single input. The rule table elements are filled in, and adjusted based on the expertise of the designer. A rule table is created for each wheel based on how a wheel is classified in relationship to the turn of the vehicle (i.e. inside front, outside rear). These classifiers are then assigned to the appropriate wheel online. An emergency lane change simulation is performed to show the effectiveness of the control.
CitationBuckholtz, K., "Use of Fuzzy Logic in Wheel Slip Assignment - Part I: Yaw Rate Control," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1221, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1221.
- Branicky M. S.. Stability of hybrid systems: state of the art. Proceedings of the 36th Conference on Decision & Control, 1997.
- Buckholtz K. R.. Use of fuzzy logic in wheel slip assignment - Part II: yaw rate control with sideslip angle limitation. SAE World Congress, 2002. (TBP)
- Buckholtz K. R.. Reference input wheel slip tracking using sliding mode control. SAE World Congress, 2002. (TBP)
- Chee W. and Tomizuka M.. Lane change maneuver for AHS applications. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, 1994.
- Choi B.-Y., Kwak S.-W. and Kim B. K.. Design and stability analysis of single-input fuzzy logic controller. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics — Part B: Cybernetics, 30(2), April 2000.
- Decarlo R. A., Branicky M. S., Pettersson S. and Lennartson B.. Perspective and results on the stability and stabilizability of hybrid systems. Proceedings of the IEEE, 88(7), July 2000.
- Diaβ A. and KienckeU.. Estimation of vehicle speed fuzzy-estimation in comparison with Kalman-filtering. Proceedings of the 4th IEEE Conference on Control Applications, 1995.
- Furuta T. and Tomiyama K.. A hybrid control architecture with a fuzzy supervisory controller and slave controller modules. AMC ’96 - MIE Proceedings, 4th International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control, Vol. 1, 1996.
- HaćA.. Evaluation of two concepts in vehicle stability enhancement systems. ASME, 1998.
- Inagaki S., Kshiro I. and Yamamoto M.. Analysis on vehicle stability in critical cornering using phase-plane method. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, 1994.
- Kimbrough S.. Rule based wheel slip assignment for vehicle stability enhancement. SAE International Congress & Exposition, 1999.
- Lim H. K., Leung F. H. F. and Tam P. K. S.. An improved stability analysis and design of fuzzy control systems. 1999 IEEE International Fuzzy Systems Conference Proceedings, 1999.
- Layne J. R., Passino K. M. and Yurkovich s., Fuzzy learning control for antiskid braking systems. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 1(2), June 1993.
- Lee G. D., Yim Y. U., Oh S. H., Kim S. W., Jung J. H. and Kim B. S.. Longitudinal and lateral control system development for a platoon of vehicles. Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE/IEE/JSAI International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 1999.
- Li H.-X. and Guan S.. Hybrid intelligent control strategy: supervising a DCS-controlled batch process. IEEE Control Systems Magazine, 21 (3), June 2001.
- Lin S.-T. and Huang A.-K.. Hierarchical fuzzy force control for industrial robots. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 45(4), August 1998.
- Lin W.-S. and Tsai C.-H.. Robust discrete-time fuzzy control of composite nonlinear systems by tuning consequent membership functions. Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 1999.
- Manning W., Crolla D., Brown M. and Selby M.. Coordination of chassis control systems for vehicle motion control. Proceedings of AVEC 2000: 5th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, 2000.
- Mauer G. F.. A fuzzy logic controller for an ABS braking system. IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, 3(4), November 1995.
- Mauer G. F., Gissinger G. F. and Chamaillard Y.. Fuzzy logic continuous and quantizing control of an ABS braking system. SAE International Congress & Exposition, 1994.
- Mazumdar S. K. and Lin C. C.. Investigation of the use of neural networks for antiskid brake system design. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, 1995.
- Naito G., Inoue H. and Matsumoto S.. Improvement in active safety through braking and traction control. 5th FISITA Congress: Automobile in Harmony with Human Society, 1994.
- Passino K. M. and Yurkovich S.. Fuzzy Control. Addison Wesley Longman, Inc., 1998.
- Shavrin P. A.. Control of independent rear wheel drive vehicle. Proceedings of the 34th Conference on Decision & Control, 1995.
- Shorten R. N. and Narendra K. S.. Investigating the stability of a class of hybrid system. Computing & Control Engineering Journal, April 1998.
- Smakman H.. Functional integration of active suspension with slip control for improved lateral vehicle dynamics. Proceedings of AVEC 2000: 5th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, 2000.
- van Zanten A. T., Erhardt R., Landesfeind K. and Pfaff G.. VDC systems development and perspective. SAE World Congress, 1998.
- van Zanten A. T., Erhardt R. and Pfaff G.. VDC, the vehicle dynamics control system of Bosch. SAE International Congress and Exposition, 1995.
- Wang L.-X.. Adaptive Fuzzy Systems and Control: Design and Stability Analysis. PTR Prentice Hall, 1994.
- Zhivoglyadov P. V. and Middleton R. H.. On stability in hybrid systems. Proceedings of the 37th IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, 1998.