This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Spray Simulation of Slit Nozzle Injector for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In direct-injection (DI) gasoline engines, spray characteristics greatly affect engine combustion. For the rapid development of new gasoline direct-injectors, it is necessary to predict the spray characteristics accurately by numerical analysis based on the injector nozzle geometry.
In this study, two-phase flow inside slit nozzle injectors is calculated using the volume of fluid method in a three-dimensional CFD. The calculation results are directly applied to the boundary conditions of spray calculations, of which the submodels are recently developed to predict spray formation process in direct injection gasoline engines.
The calculation results are compared with the experiments. Good agreements are obtained for typical spray characteristics such as spray shape, penetration and Sauter mean diameter at both low and high ambient pressures. Two slit nozzle injectors of which the slit thickness is different are compared. It is shown that the slit thickness controls the liquid sheet thickness and velocity distributions at the nozzle exit, and influences the spray tip shape and the Sauter mean diameter.
CitationHayakawa, M., Takada, S., Yonesige, K., Nagaoka, M. et al., "Fuel Spray Simulation of Slit Nozzle Injector for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1135, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1135.
- Tomoda, T. Sasaki, S. Sawada, D. Saitou, A. Sami, H. “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE 970539 1997
- Harada, T. Tomita, H. Mizuno, H. Mashiki, Z. Ito, Y. “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE 970540 1997
- Koike, M. Saito, A. Tomoda, T. Yamamoto, Y. “Research and Development of a new Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE 2000-01-0530 2000
- Kanda, M. Baika, T. Kato, S. Iwamuro, M. Koike, M. Saito, A. “Application of a new Combustion Concept to Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE 2000-01-0531 2000
- Naitoh, K. Takagi, Y. “Synthesized Spheroid Particle(SSP) Method for Calculating Spray Phenomena in Direct- Injection SI Engines” SAE 962017 1996
- Nagaoka, M. Kawamura, K. “A Deforming Droplet Model for Fuel Spray in Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines” SAE 2001-01-1225 2001
- Han, Z. et al. “Multidimensional Modeling of Spray Atomization and Air-Fuel Mixing in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE 970884 1997
- Xu, M. Markle, L. E. “CFD-Aided Development of Spray for an Outwardly Opening in Direct Injection Gasoline Injector” SAE 980493 1998
- Okamoto, A. Sato, T. Shirabe, N. Anezaki, Y. “Development of Fan Spray for Gasoline Direct Injection Engines” SAE 010962 2001
- Hirt C. W. Nichols B. D. “Volume of Fluid (VOF) Method for the Dynamics of Free Boundaries Journal of Comp. Physics 39 1981
- Brackbill J. U. Kothe D. B. Zemache C. “A continuum method for modeling surface tension Journal of Comp. Physics 100 1992
- Nagaoka, M. et al. “Numerical Analysis of Fuel Behavior in Port-Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper No. 970878 1997
- Amsden, A. A. O'Rourke, P. J. Butler, T.D. “KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays” Los Alamos National Laboratory Rep., No. LA-11560-MS 1989
- Dombrowski, N. Hasson, D. Ward, D. E. Chem. Engr. Sci. 12 35 50 1960
- Dombrowski, N. Johns, W. R. “The aerodynamic instability and disintegration of viscous liquid sheets” Chem. Engr. Sci. 18 203 214 1963
- Hoerner, S. F. FLUID-DYNAMIC DRAG Hoerner Fluid Dynamics 1965
- Nagaoka, M. “Nonlinear Spheroidal Oscillating Model for Single Droplet with Aerodynamic Force” Trans. JSME B 66 647 2000
- Reitz, R. D. “Modeling Atomization Process in High Pressure Vaporizing Sprays” Atomization and Spray Tech. 3 309 337 1989
- Patterson, M. A. Reitz, R. D. “Modeling the Effects of Fuel Spray Characteristics on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emission” SAE Paper, No. 980131 1998
- O'Rourke, P. J. Bracco, F. V. “Modeling of Drop Interactions in Thick Sprays and Comparison with Experiments” IMechE. 101 116 1980