This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Differential Function for Avoiding Slippage of Motor Vehicles in a Muddy Trench
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicles such as trucks, buses and cars often get struck up in muddy trenches or in snow with one of wheels in the trench and the other on level ground. With an open differential, driver's effort to pull the vehicle out normally ends up with one wheel, which is rotating still going deeper into the trench. Until now Limited Slip Differentials (LSD), Locked Differentials and Viscous Coupling etc. have been used to overcome this difficulty but with limited success.
Incorporating logic devices has developed a novel solution to this problem and the traction on the required wheel is achieved automatically. The system works independently of the conventional brakes.
- S. S. Gill - Department of Mechanical Eng., Beant College of Eng. and Tech
- N. S. Kalsi - Department of Mechanical Eng., Beant College of Eng. and Tech
- Balraj Singh - Department of Mechanical Eng., Beant College of Eng. and Tech
- Nirmal Singh - Department of Mechanical Eng., Beant College of Eng. and Tech
- Neetu Singh - Department of Electronics Eng., Beant College of Eng. and Tech
CitationGill, S., Kalsi, N., Singh, B., Singh, N. et al., "Improved Differential Function for Avoiding Slippage of Motor Vehicles in a Muddy Trench," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0988, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0988.
- Smith Caroll Drive to Win 7 26
- Lim Eliot Introduction to all wheel drive System Feb 26 1999
- Heisler Heinz Vehicle and Engine Technology 1 ELBS
- Gordon Jacques steering and suspension: Electronics help keep the black patch down September 1998
- Heitner Joseph Second Automobile Mechanics East-West Press Private Limited
- Singh Kirpal Automobile Engg. 1 1997 Std. Publications & Distributors New Delhi
- Off-Road.com Review: auburn gear limited slip diffrential.html 1999
- Morr Tom Traction for action: guide to lockers and limited Slip differentials (for off road trucks) April 1996
- Tagiella Tom reviewers notebook Sure Group Limited Slip differential Jan 1999
- Crouse William H. Anglin Donald L Ninth Automobile Mechanics Tata Mc-Graw Hill Publishing Company Ltd New Delhi
- Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, WARF Hybrid Brake System
- Automobile.com \ Troubleshooting