This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Predictions in Model Engines - Reduction of In-Cylinder Wall Films by Using a Plain Orifice Electrostatic Atomizer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work discusses the possibility of application of electrostatic forces and/or properties to control the spray development within in-cylinder flows. The liquid fuel is assumed to pass through a -12 kV charging potential before it is pumped into the combustion chamber. The development of the resulting charged droplets is then controlled by charge spread on the boundaries. The results indicate considerable improvement as far as the wall wetting is concerned. In addition, and though substantially suppressed by the late stages of the compression stroke, the in-cylinder reverse tumble is promoted by the electrostatic repulsion forces on the piston surface.
CitationNhumaio, G. and Watkins, A., "CFD Predictions in Model Engines - Reduction of In-Cylinder Wall Films by Using a Plain Orifice Electrostatic Atomizer," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0840, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0840.
Direct Injection SI Engine Technology 2002
Number: SP-1693; Published: 2002-03-04
Number: SP-1693; Published: 2002-03-04
- Yule AJ Shrimpton JS Watkins AP Balachandran W Hu D. 1994 “Electrostatically Atomised Hydrocarbon Sprays” Fuel 74 7 1094 1103
- Kelly AJ. 1988 “Experimental Investigation of Electrostatic Dispersion and Combustion of Diesel Fuel Jets” J. Eng. for Gas Turb. and Power, Trans. ASME 1988 110 3 361 368
- Balachandran W Machowski W Halimic M Morgan L Gray C Wilson C. 1999 “Development of an Electrostatic Nozzle for Gas Turbine Applications” Proc. ILASS Europe 1999 Toulouse, France
- Shrimpton JS 1995 Electrostatic Atomisation and Combustion of Hydrocarbon Oils UMIST Manchester
- Shrimpton JS Yule AJ Watkins AP Balachandran W. 1996 “Effect of an External Electric Field on a Dielectric Charged Drop” Proc. ILASS Europe ′96 Sweden
- Shrimpton JS Watkins AP Yule AJ. 1996 “Modelling of Charged Hydrocarbon Sprays Including Drop Break-up” ECCOMAS 1996 John Wiley & Sons
- Shrimpton JS “Characteristics of Unsteady State Sprays” Proc. ICLASS 2000 Pasadena, CA
- Jackson NS Stokes J Whitaker PA Lake TH. 1997 “Stratified and Homogeneous Charge Operation for the Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - High Power with Low Fuel Consumption and Emissions” SAE Technical Paper Series 970543
- Iwamoto Y Noma K Nakayama O Yamauchi T Ando H. 1997 “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” SAE Technical Paper Series 1997
- Richardson A.T. 1995 “Electrohydrodynamics: An Interdisciplinary Subject Come of Age” 9th int. Conf. on Electrostatics 2-5 April
- Pfeifer R.D. Hendricks C.D. 1967 “Charge-to-Mass Relationship for Electrohydrodynamically Sprayed Liquid Droplets” Physics of Fluids 10 10 2149 2154
- Watkins AP. 1989 “3D Modelling of Gas Flow and Sprays in Diesel Engine” Computer Simulation of Fluid Flow, Heat and Mass Transfer and Combustion in Reciprocating Engines Washington DC Hemisphere
- Melcher JR. 1981 Continuum Electromechanics The MIT Press
- Chang J. S. Kelly A. J. Crowley J. M. 1995 Handbook of Electrostatic Processes Marcell Dekkar Inc.
- Shrimpton J. S. Yule A. J. Watkins A. P. 1996 “Spray Visualisation and Phase Doppler Anemometry Measurements of Charged Hydrocarbon Sprays” Lisbon: Proc. 8 th Int. Symp. on Application of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics July 1996
- Grace J.M. 1993 Droplet Motion and Control in an Electrohydrodynamic Fine Spray University of Notre Dame Notre Dame, Indiana, USA
- Park K Watkins AP. 1996 “Assessment and Application of a New Spray Wall Impaction Model” London: Proc. of Inst. of Mech. Eng. Conf. on Computers in Reciprocating and Gas Turbines 1996 1 10
- Naber J. D. Reitz R. D. 1988 “Fuel Impingement in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Technical Paper Series 881316
- Tomada T. Sasaki S. Sawada D. Saito A. Sami H. 1997 “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - Study of Stratified Mixture Formation” SAE Technical Paper Series 970539
- Houston R. Cathcart G. 1998 “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Orbital's Combustion Process Applied to Multi-Cylinder Automotive Direct Injected 4-Stroke Engines” SAE Paper Series 980153
- Li J. Chae J. O. Zeng K. Lee S. M. Jeong Y. S. Noh J. Y. Cho M. S. 1998 “Preliminary Investigation of a Diffusion-Oriented Spray Stratified Combustion System for DI Gasoline Engines” SAE Paper Series 980151
- Khaleghi H 1990 “Three-Dimensional Modelling of Sprays and Gas Flow in Test Rigs and Diesel Engines and Comparison with Experiments” UMIST UK
- Aghil S. 1995 Predictions of Internal Flow and Charge Injection for Nozzles Producing Electrostatically Atomized Oil Sprays UMIST Manchester, UK
- Nhumaio G. C. S. 2000 Application of Electrostatically Charged Sprays in Gasoline Direct Injection Engines using Plain Orifice Atomizers UMIST Manchester, UK
- Taylor D. M. Secker P. E. 1994 Industrial Electrostatics - Fundamentals and Measurements Research Studies Press Ltd.