This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Volumetric Efficiency of Direct and Port Injection Gasoline Engines with Different Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study has been undertaken with a single-cylinder engine, based on the Mitsubishi GDi combustion system, that has the option of either port injection or direct injection. Tests have been undertaken with pure fuel components (methane, iso-octane, toluene and methanol), and a representative gasoline that has also been tested with the addition of 10% methanol and 10% ethanol. The volumetric efficiency depends both on the fuel and its time and place of injection. For stoichiometric operation with unleaded gasoline, changing from port injection to direct injection led to a 9% increase in volumetric efficiency, which was improved by a further 3% when 10% methanol was blended with the gasoline.
The improvements in volumetric efficiency will be used to quantify the extent of charge cooling by fuel evaporation, and these will be compared with predictions assuming the maximum possible level of fuel evaporation.
CitationWyszynski, L., Stone, C., and Kalghatgi, G., "The Volumetric Efficiency of Direct and Port Injection Gasoline Engines with Different Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0839, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0839.
- Hiett, G. F. Robson, J. V. B. 1950 A High Power Two-Cycle Sleeve-Valve Engine for Aircraft Aircraft Engineering
- Jackson, N. S. Stokes, J. Whitaker, P. A. Lake, T. H. 1997 Stratified and Homogeneous Charge Operation for the DISI Engine - High Power with Low Fuel Consumption and Emissions SAE Technical Paper, No. 970543
- Scherenberg, H. 1955 Ruckblick uber 25 Jahre Benzin-Einspritzung in Deutschland MTZ 9 16
- Iwamoto, Y. Noma, K. Nakayama, O. Yamauchi, T. Ando, H. 1997 Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper, No. 970541
- Kume, T. Iwamoto, Y. Iido, K. Murakami, M. Akishino, K. Ando, H. 1996 Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engine SAE Technical Paper, No. 960600
- Anderson, R. W. Yang, J. Brehob, D. D. Vallance, J. K. Whiteaker, R. M. 1996 Understanding the Thermodynamics of Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) Combustion Systems: An Analytical and Experimental Investigation SAE Technical Paper, No. 962018
- Reid, R.C. Prausnitz, J.M. Poling, B.E. 1987 The Properties of Gases and Liquids 4th McGraw-Hill
- Shell: Physical & Energy Data 1978