This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Hydroforming Simulation on Development of Automobile Parts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hydrofrorming is an efficient forming process to produce automotive parts for reducing weight of cars. In order to reduce the period of development of hydrofoming parts, numerical simulation using FEM is applied to evaluate formability. A pipe needs to be bent before hydroforming for forming complicated shape parts. A pipe bending process is also necessary to FEM simulation. In this paper, a highly effective method to create a bent pipe FEM model based on geometrical changing between a pipe before and after bending is proposed. The widely used draw bending process is supposed to be applied. The method can construct the model in a short time. Therefore total computation time can be reduced drastically. The effects of number of integration points and elements to the computed results and springback prediction after bending are also investigated. The proposed method are applied to a actual part, the computed results are in good agreement with the experimental results.
CitationTakahashi, S., Terada, K., Morita, T., and Matsubara, N., "Application of Hydroforming Simulation on Development of Automobile Parts," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0786, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0786.
- Fuchizawa, S, Recent Status of Research and Development of Tube Hydroforming in Japan, Proceedings of International Seminar on Rcent Status & Trend of Tube Hydroforming, Tokyo, Japan, 1999.
- Morphy, G, Tube Hydroforming: Dimensional Capability Analysis of a High Volume Automotive Structural Component Production Process, SAE Technical Paper, No. 980450, 1998.
- Xia, Z. C, Bursting for Tubular Hydroforming, SAE Technical Paper No. 2000-01-0770, in SAE SP-1536, 2000.
- Ahmetoglu, M. and Altan, T., Tube Hydroforming - State-of- the-Art and Future Trends, SAE Technical Paper No. 1999-01-0675, in SAE SP-1435, 1999.
- Siegert, K, Schwager A., Rieger R. and Haussermann, M., New Machine Concept for Hydroforming Tubes and Extrusions, SAE Technical Paper No. 1999-01-0678, in SAE SP-1435, 1999.
- Shirayori, A., Fuchizawa, S. and Narasaki, M., Experimental Investigation into a Tube Forming Method for Providing Tubes with Thickness Distribution in Axial Direction, Proceedings of the 6th ICTP, p.1223, 1999.
- Yoshida, T. and Kuriyama, Y., Effects of Material Properties and Process Parameters on Deformation Behavior of Tube Hydroforming, Innovations In Tube Hydroforming Technology, 2000.
- Chen, K-K., The bulge of Tubes and a Failure Criterion for Tube Hydrofroming, SAE Technical Paper No. 2001-01-1132, in SAE SP-1614, 2001.
- Chen, X. M., Shi, M. F., McKune, P. M. and Chen, S. M., Applications of High Strength Steels in Hydroforming Dual Phase Vs. HSLA, SAE Technical Paper No. 2001-01-1133, in SAE SP-1614, 2001.
- Lei, L-P, Kim, J. and Kang B-S, Analysis and Design of Hydroforming Process for Automobile Rrear Axle Housing by FEM, Int. J. of Machine Tool & Manufacture, Vol.40, p. 1691, 2000.
- Ma., N., Sugimoto, N., Noguchi., T. and Kano, T., Simulation of Multi-Sstage Tube Hydroforming and Optimization of Forming Conditions, Proceedings of NUMIFORM 2001, p.909, 2001.
- Chen, X.M. and Liu, S. D., Experimental and Simulation Study on Tube Bending and Hydroforming, SAE Technical Paper No. 2000-01-1114, in SAE SP-1536, 2000
- Soto, K., Hiroshige, I., Ito, K. and Shibata, K., Effect of the Strain Path in Tube Forming on a Forming Limit, Proceedings of NUMIFORM 2001, p.861, 2001.
- Liu, J., Tube Hydroforming Process Development with the Aid of Computer Simulation, SAE Technical Paper No. 2001-01-1134, in SAE SP-1614, 2001.
- Oehler, G. Tech. Int., Vol.56, p.51, 1967