This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automotive Plastics Recycling: Successful Projects
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 4, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The success of automotive plastics recycling will be dependent on the development of economically viable high value target applications for recyclates.
After their first lifetime in automotive applications plastic recyclates show evidence of depleted stabilizer content, impurities, as well as thermo- and photo-oxidative byproducts. These alterations lead to a reduction in mechanical properties and to diminished processing, weathering, and heat aging performance. As a consequence, plastic recyclates are not currently suitable for use in high-value applications.
Results from selected successful automotive plastics recycling projects demonstrate the features and benefits of tailor-made additive systems to improve recyclate performance. Recent inquiries into the post-consumer recycling of battery cases, TPO bumpers, and fuel tanks have yielded data on the processing and weathering stability of recyclates, and on the influence of paint residues. Ciba's new additive systems enable the use of recyclates in demanding highvalue applications.
CitationClauss, M., Herbst, H., and Botkin, J., "Automotive Plastics Recycling: Successful Projects," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0729, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0729.
- Chen A. C., Field F. R.: Automotive polymers and their technical and economic effects on automobile recycling, Adv. Compos. Technol., Proc. Annu. ASM/ESD Adv. Compos. Conf., 9th 1993, p. 681-697
- Graser K., Hook R.: Material choice and design of automotive plastics parts under the aspects of recycling, SAE Technical Papers Series 951847, p. 97-108
- Zweifel H.: Plastics Additives Handbook. Hanser Publishers, 5th edition, München 2001
- Hoffmann K., Herbst H., Pfaendner R.: 5 Years Experience in Quality Improvement of Recycled Plastics by Means of Restabilization - Failures and Successes, Presentation, Globec'96, Environmental Technologies, Davos, 1996, p. 17-1.1 - 17-1.4
- Pfaendner R., Herbst H., Hoffmann K., Sitek F.: Recycling and Restabilization of Polymers for High Quality Applications - An Overview. Angewandte Makromolekulare Chemie 232, 1995, p. 193 - 227
- Herbst H., Hoffmann K., Pfaendner R., Sitek F.: Stabilizers Allow Higher Added Value Post Used Plastics; Presentation, RC '95, Geneva 1995, II, p. 83 - 92
- Herbst H., Hoffmann K., Pfaendner R.: New Opportunities for PCR by Restabilization; Presentation, ARC '95, Akron, OH 1995, p. 17-33